News briefs 12/2

Dean honored
University of Education Dean Isaac Prilleltensky is the recipient of the American Psychological Association’s John Kalafat Applied Psychology’s Practitioner Award, as well as the first ever “Education Catalyst” award from the Miami-based Human Services Coalition (HSC).  The Catalyst award honors someone that has been a change agent in the education field.

Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan, a multiple Grammy Award-winning performing artist whose charitable and humanitarian efforts have aided victims of natural disasters and spinal cord injury, will give advice to graduates at the University of Miami’s fall 2010 commencement ceremony on Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. at the BankUnited Center.

Institute awarded
The University of Miami Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute was awarded $500,000 by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in conjunction with the 2010 Knight Arts Challenge. This award will be used to produce “HMI: Outbound,” a new community outreach program to engender a new cultural niche in South Florida, a cross-genre orchestra. The Knight Foundation grant has been matched with a $500,000 cash contribution by philanthropist, business leader and UM trustee Adrienne Arsht, bringing total new funding for the HMI: Outbound program to $1,000,000.

Holiday building
UM Habitat for Humanity presents a gingerbread house building contest for teams of one to four people on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Eaton classroom 148. There will be a $20 per team pre-registration fee or $24 at the door.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...