News briefs 12/2

Dean honored
University of Education Dean Isaac Prilleltensky is the recipient of the American Psychological Association’s John Kalafat Applied Psychology’s Practitioner Award, as well as the first ever “Education Catalyst” award from the Miami-based Human Services Coalition (HSC).  The Catalyst award honors someone that has been a change agent in the education field.

Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan, a multiple Grammy Award-winning performing artist whose charitable and humanitarian efforts have aided victims of natural disasters and spinal cord injury, will give advice to graduates at the University of Miami’s fall 2010 commencement ceremony on Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. at the BankUnited Center.

Institute awarded
The University of Miami Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute was awarded $500,000 by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in conjunction with the 2010 Knight Arts Challenge. This award will be used to produce “HMI: Outbound,” a new community outreach program to engender a new cultural niche in South Florida, a cross-genre orchestra. The Knight Foundation grant has been matched with a $500,000 cash contribution by philanthropist, business leader and UM trustee Adrienne Arsht, bringing total new funding for the HMI: Outbound program to $1,000,000.

Holiday building
UM Habitat for Humanity presents a gingerbread house building contest for teams of one to four people on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Eaton classroom 148. There will be a $20 per team pre-registration fee or $24 at the door.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...