News briefs 12/2

Dean honored
University of Education Dean Isaac Prilleltensky is the recipient of the American Psychological Association’s John Kalafat Applied Psychology’s Practitioner Award, as well as the first ever “Education Catalyst” award from the Miami-based Human Services Coalition (HSC).  The Catalyst award honors someone that has been a change agent in the education field.

Gloria Estefan
Gloria Estefan, a multiple Grammy Award-winning performing artist whose charitable and humanitarian efforts have aided victims of natural disasters and spinal cord injury, will give advice to graduates at the University of Miami’s fall 2010 commencement ceremony on Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. at the BankUnited Center.

Institute awarded
The University of Miami Frost School of Music’s Henry Mancini Institute was awarded $500,000 by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in conjunction with the 2010 Knight Arts Challenge. This award will be used to produce “HMI: Outbound,” a new community outreach program to engender a new cultural niche in South Florida, a cross-genre orchestra. The Knight Foundation grant has been matched with a $500,000 cash contribution by philanthropist, business leader and UM trustee Adrienne Arsht, bringing total new funding for the HMI: Outbound program to $1,000,000.

Holiday building
UM Habitat for Humanity presents a gingerbread house building contest for teams of one to four people on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Eaton classroom 148. There will be a $20 per team pre-registration fee or $24 at the door.

Compiled by Parker Davis who may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News briefs 12/2”

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...