Hurricane Bookshelf: December Edition

Winter vacation can be incredibly dull if you have nothing to do. Why not occupy yourself with a good book while you kill time in between semesters?

“Patti LuPone: A Memoir” (Patti LuPone; Crown Archetype) is a must-read for both Broadway fanatics and anyone who respects a true diva. LuPone, a two-time Tony Award winner, chronicles every sordid detail of her decades-long career on Broadway and in Hollywood with hilarity and panache. Most notable are the mentions of her feuds with theatrical impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber and her intense dislike of some fellow Broadway actors (shamelessly named in the book). LuPone’s memoir is an absolute joy to read.

“Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes and Easy Tops” (Ina Garten; Crown Publishing Group) makes cooking easy for students who have to fend for themselves while they are far from the dining halls. Released in October of this year, Garten’s cookbook keeps it simple but delicious. Its recipes are slightly more advanced that Easy Mac, but at least readers won’t starve during the cold winter months. Kick back, relax and have a pink grapefruit margarita.

“Cleopatra: A Life” (Stacy Schiff; Little, Brown & Company) captures the life and times of one of history’s most scandalous queens. Having defeated her brother’s forces and capturing the heart of Julius Caesar by age 18, Cleopatra’s legend has only grown greater since her death nearly 2,000 years ago. This biography presents a vivid portrait of a legend’s life.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...