Holiday gift guide

‘Tis the season for everyone but your wallet: With so many people to shop for, and so little time, what’s a college kid to do? Follow this guide for gifts that are thrifty but nifty, but look out for the occasional splurge item (if you’re feeling financially festive). In the season of giving, there’s something for everyone.

To make mom (say, if she’s already glowing from the iPad under the tree from dad) extra happy, try an iPad sleeve, like Rebecca Minkoff ‘Touch & Go’ iPad Sleeve in Fire Engine Shine ($150). If she has an iPhone, the label makes a smaller (and cheaper) version of the ‘Touch & Go’ case. Want something simple? Have mom think of you after every pot of coffee with the World Traveler Mug ($20) from Kate Spade. Hey- it’s the alternative to a pricey plane ticket for overseas travel.

Dad acts like he’s happy with anything, but you know he mostly wants what he needs. The Full Size Kit Unscented- Pure Badger Black Brush ($100) from The Art of Shaving will cut his morning prep before work in half. A smaller version of this set- the Starter Kit- will only set you back $25.

Your brother, older or younger, would spare you from punches (for the day at least) when you get him the Xbox 360 Kinect ($149.99), the controller-less system that will let him get physically interactive with his favorite games. If you’re not trying to break bank for the bane of your existence (just kidding, we love our brothers): A sporty silicon watch (“Larrow” from Aldo is only $35) or the timeless baseball cap are mainstays that will make him smile.

Quit the cat fighting with your sister long enough to give her a claw-pleasing Mani-Pedi package from Elizabeth Arden. It’s a given: spa packages can be expensive, so a gift card worth a sum you can afford is an option to at least give her the incentive to unwind.

Shopping for the man in your life should be the least of your worries: it’s all about the gear and gadgets. The Sony Playstation Move Bundle is selling now for an affordable $99.99, while a Nintendo Wii Console (Black) with Wii Sports Resort is down to $169.99. The Polaroid 300 Instant Camera is pocket-sized and powerful, selling for $89.99. A hooded Under Armour Thermal will keep your guy cozy for only $50.

When it comes to your girlfriend, a little bit of classic goes a long way, fellas. Take her to Paris (metaphorically) with Tiffany and Co.’s Eiffel Tower charm ($150). Get her a longer chain (30 in. – $80) so she can style the necklace however she wants (a single knot looks best). If your style isn’t Tiffany’s traditional, there are other options. Make her a signature perfume from scentdesign.net (a 1 ounce bottle with up to 5 different fragrances starts at $20). Give her some sugar (and expect kisses in return) with the Sugar lip treatment set from Fresh at Club Monaco ($23-$45).

For a friend, don’t feel pressured to spend copious amounts of cash: Kate Spade’s Resolution Pencils ($8) are a great way to get your pal ready for her New Years’ resolutions. The Six-pack sampler from Dave and Thomas Popcorn ($29.95) is delicious way to treat a friend this holiday season. But act fast, one of the flavors (Double Trio- Sweet N’ Savory) has already sold out.

For your best friend, the iKaraoke ($60), a portable microphone made for the iPod, will satisfy the “Gleek” within. The Gingerbread House by Philosophy ($20) smells delicious, comes in its own little “gingerbread house” and won’t wither your wallet. Guys, keep the bromance alive with a Leather beer holster (now $29.95 at redenvelope.com) that’ll make lot-hopping at next year’s tailgates that much easier.

Nicole Adlman may be contacted at nadlman@themiamihurricane.com.

Homebound with no gifts for the family?

Head to the University of Miami bookstore for some last minute shopping. A classic crewneck sweater with “Miami” across the front is great for your cousins, aunts and uncles (prices range from $14 to $49 depending on which style and color). The Bag Tote Me Eco Brown ($34.99) is both a laptop case and cute carry-all, perfect for an on-the-go mom. Doggie Nation Miami Doggie T-shirt ($18) will have any pup wagging his or her tail. Gran and Gramps will appreciate a Miami stone trivet ($12) to use when the family comes over for a big fat holiday dinner.

Nicole Adlman

Contributing EDGE Writer

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Holiday gift guide”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...