Football

Randy Shannon fired

After four tumultuous years the University of Miami fired football head coach Randy Shannon Saturday night.

The decision was made hours after Miami’s embarrassing 23-20 overtime home loss to the University of South Florida Saturday afternoon.

“We have made a decision to seek new leadership for our football program,” Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt said. “Our expectations are to compete for championships and return to the top of the college football world. We will immediately begin a national search.”

Shannon was 28-22 in four years running the helm at UM. He was 16-16 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Shannon

Former University of Miami head coach Randy Shannon yells at an official during a 31-17 loss to Virginia Tech. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

had a 4-9 mark verses ranked opponents and was 0-2 in bowl games. Miami never once won the Coastal Division in the ACC and experienced some of its worse losses in program history under his watch.

UM lost 48-0 to Virginia in the final game at the historic Orange Bowl. The Hurricanes also lost by 28 to in state rival Florida State at home earlier this year. The icing on the cake was when the orange and green lost to lowly USF at home after a walk-on freshman quarterback engineered a comeback.

Shannon improved in each of his first three seasons winning five, seven and nine games respectively but this year the team regressed falling to 0-3 verse ranked teams while struggling with Duke and shockingly losing to Virginia and South Florida.

Shannon was a four year letter winner for UM and was the starting linebacker on Miami’s 1987 National Championship team.

During his reign, Miami improved its Graduation Rates and Academic Progress Reports and only had one off field arrest, but inconsistencies on the gridiron plagued him.

ESPN has reported that offensive coordinator Mark Whipple has been fired as well and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland will be the interim head coach.

Hocutt will address the media at a news conference at the Hecht Athletic Center Sunday at 1 p.m.

Please continue to follow the latest news this week at themiamihurricane.com or follow UM’s student newspaper on twitter @TMH_Sports.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Randy Shannon fired”

1. Canes57 says:

Coach Shannon fired.
    The University of Miami showed no class by the firing of head football coach Shannon after a three point loss to South Florida.
    Shannon was brought into the University of Miami program as head coach four years ago to correct a football program that had lost its luster and was out of control.
    Many of the supporters of Canes football seem to have their egos wrapped tightly around the win/lost record of the team.
    Their manhood seem to be attacked by any lost game or lost recruit to the program.
    They seem to take it as a personal affront that the Canes dare to lose any game.
    While it is true a loss to Virginia and to South Florida is a step back for the program. it is not necessary to behave in a childish egotistical manner.
    By firing head coach Shannon a few hours after the loss to South Florida, the “U” acted exactly the same as a child “throwing a fit”.
    The firing was done totally without class.
    I expect more from my school. I expected that the “U” would have waited until some time had passed in order to consider the problems that a short fuse tantrum will produce.
    There was no need for a rush to judgement.
    Shannon deserved better.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...