Football, Sports

Kirby Hocutt addresses the future of UM football

Less than 24 hours after dismissing Randy Shannon from the UM football program, Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt addressed the media about the new era that has begun for the orange and green.

Kirby Hocutt

University of Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt speaks to the media Sunday afternoon about his decision to fire head coach Randy Shannon after a disappointing 7-5 season. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane.

“We expect to compete for Championships and nothing less,” Hocutt said. “We have a group of talented young men in the program and our future is promising. To once again sit at the top of the college football world, Miami must again be relevant in the college football.”

Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland will be the interim head coach. All other assistants have been retained.

“The reason I became a coach is to serve student-athletes,” Stoutland said in a released statement. “We are in a tough situation – there is no doubt, but that does not change our commitment to the young men on this team. Everyone on this coaching staff remains fully committed to this program and finishing the season the right way. We are going to do everything in our power to prepare for a winning bowl experience, and continue the highest standard of excellence off the field.”

Over the next month, Miami (7-5) will have meetings, prepare for final exams and game plan for the upcoming bowl game.

Hocutt said the ultimate decision to dismiss Shannon came last night.

“It was made with the total body of work in mind,” Hocutt said. “It was not made on one football game.”

Hocutt said there is to time table of when he expects to name the next head coach by, but UM will begin its search immediately. Over the last couple of days Hocutt came up with a preliminary list of candidates.

Money will not be factor; UM will do what it takes to hire the best man for the job.

“No [money]will not [be an issue],” Hocutt said. “We’re going to do whatever it takes to get back to the top of the college football world and we’re going to find the best individual in the country to come in and lead this talented group of young men and lead this program back to where it belongs.”

So what does Hocutt want to see in the next successor?

“We need a leader. We need somebody that can come in and offer all the leadership elements for this football program to be successful and we need someone that can come in and lead us back to relevance in college football.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Kirby Hocutt addresses the future of UM football”

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...