Driver identified of fatal hit-and-run involving student

Early Nov. 24, Valentina Andrews Hubsch was confirmed as the driver that struck and killed UM junior Jared Paul Jones Nov. 13 in a hit-and-run accident.
According to The Miami Herald, Hubsch is 45-year-old fashion model from Coral Gables.
“The entire University of Miami community is saddened to learn today of the death of student Jared ‘Paul’ Jones,” read the statement released by UM Media Relations Tuesday morning.
Jones, who was an English major from Maryland and who went by Paul, died Nov. 23 as a result of the injuries he sustained from the accident when Hubsch struck him as he walked along the 4500 block of Red Road. At approximately 7:20 p.m. Nov. 13,  Jones was walking in the roadway to his off-campus apartment from a friend’s house.
“Paul [had]massive head trauma [and had]multiple injuries to other systems,” said Betsy Jones, Paul Jones’ mother, when she arrived in Miami Nov. 14 with her husband Jim Jones. Jones was in a coma until Tuesday.
The Coral Gables Police Department has received a statement from Hubsch and will begin working with the State Attorney’s Office to formalize the case and how she will be apprehended. The investigation is ongoing; Coral Gables Police will continue updating the community as necessary.

Alexa Lopez may be contacted at alopez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Driver identified of fatal hit-and-run involving student”

1. Betsy Jones is my cousin. I live in Colorado; Betsy’s Aunt (my Mom) and my sister live in Iowa. All of us are with Betsy and her family in thought and prayer. This is definitely a parent’s worst nightmare. Thank you to the students who are visiting the family and Paul. We pray for a miracle.

2. Dear Mr. & Mrs. Jones: When I heard about the horrible accident where your son Paul was hurt, I felt that I must pray not only for paul, but for both of you as well. I lost my son Christopher, who was a U of M Law School graduate, 13 years ago. So I know the pain you are suffering at this time. But the difference is that Paul will get well. My son didn’t have a chance to get healed. I will continue to pray for all of you. Please, trust in God. Your son will be healed. May God Bless You!
    Toni Kelly

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...