Sports, Volleyball

Squad set up for success

The University of Miami volleyball team is on a roll at just the right time.

The Canes played like a squad determined to return to the NCAA tournament over the weekend, beating both Boston College and Maryland.

“We have a really, really good shot at making it to the tournament,” said junior setter Katie Gallagher, who had 41 assists on Friday against Boston College and 32 assists on Sunday against Maryland. Both were match highs.

The Hurricanes arguably played their best volleyball of the season over the weekend, competing with an intensity and efficiency that the Eagles and the Terps simply couldn’t handle.

Boston College looked overwhelmed and outmatched on the court Friday night. The Canes’ offense was dominant and pounded the Eagles.

The Canes won easily 25-13, 25-14 and 25-16.

The case wasn’t very different on Sunday against Maryland either. Miami cruised by the Terps in straight sets, 25-9, 25-19 and 25-18.

Miami, now 22-8 on the year with a 12-7 record in-conference, has won four matches in a row.

It was only a little over two weeks ago that coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s squad found itself in the bad habit of splitting weekend series against ACC opponents but the Canes turned things around in a timely fashion. With the two wins, they have all but locked up a slot to the NCAA tournament.

The two victories were also the final home matches for the two veteran players on the Hurricane roster, senior middle blockers Ariell Cooke and Lici McGee.

“It’s always special to talk about your seniors,” Lantagne Welch said. “The [best]thing in a coach’s career is to see the kids mature from their first year to the end.”

Both seniors certainly hope that their season lasts longer than their final regular season match.

Miami still has to play Florida State this upcoming Friday, and then they will wait for the NCAA tournament selection show on ESPNews, which is scheduled for 3 p.m. on Sunday according to NCAA.org.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...