Sports briefs 11/22

Swimming and diving

After two days of competition, the Canes swimming and diving team stood at fourth place in the Georgia Tech Invitational. The Canes have had their share of record breaking performances during the event, including finishing a 200 medley race in 1:41.35. Senior Annika Saarnak broke another school record as well, finishing the 100-meter butterfly in 53.59. The Canes are off until Dec. 2, when they will participate in the Texas Invitational.

Men’s basketball

Despite a double-double by Reggie Johnson, the Hurricane men’s basketball team was unable to secure a win in New York on Sunday afternoon, falling to the Rutger Scarlet Knights, 61-45. Johnson had 12 points and 14 rebounds, but Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant were held to eight points combined. The Canes (2-2) will next play on Wednesday night, taking on the Mcneese State Cowboys (2-1) at the BankUnited Center. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Women’s basketball

The Hurricanes will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving tournament at the BankUnited Center this coming week, welcoming UNC Greensboro, Eastern Illinois, and Florida Atlantic University. The Canes will play against FAU on Friday at 7 p.m., with the final game of the tournament coming on Saturday at 5 p.m. (if they lose Friday) or 7 p.m. (if they win Friday). All of the action can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...