Reveal the Unseen

The band Siamese Blu plays for the crowd in the School of Communication courtyard during the Reveal the Unseen event. Above, the guitarist, Ivan Bravo, and singer, Leyah Salfina, share a moment. The event hosted several bands, live artists, and spoken artists on stage along with several displays for more artists to show their work. Daniel Osiason//The Miami Hurricane

On Saturday night, two organizations brought good music to campus and promoted new artists getting artist’s names out, while raising money for a good cause.

The organizations More than Art Group and the Re-Hope Foundation teamed up for a benefit concert in the School of Communication courtyard.

In addition to music, artists donated pieces for a silent auction. The proceeds were split between More than Art Group and Re-Hope, an organization whose mission is to impact the lives of abandoned and disadvantages children and families around the world.

Laura Forero, co-founder and president of More than Art Group, has been in the art marketing industry since she was 20. She said she was interested in starting More than Art Group because she had talented friends who shared her passion. More than Art Group is in the process of becoming a non-profit organization.

More than Art Group decided to work with Re-Hope because they felt it would be a chance to give back the community.

“Its amazing to help others get their name out there,” said Jennifer Moreno, a co-founder of More than Art Group. “Especially when you can help people who are struggling in the process.”

Artists in attendance varied in skill level, from beginners, to those who have been in the business for a long time. One of them happened to be Adela Sutton.

“I have so many different things that appeal to me, I try to paint a balanced repertoire,” Sutton said. “Last summer I indulged completely into “Cool Summer”, and painted all the sweets I can eat.”

Sutton had a couple of items on display from these collections which included three very distinct ice cream bars, Strawberry Shortcake, Chocolate Éclair and Toasted Almond. She also donated a piece of artwork called “Portrait of Ex-Husband.”

“When they asked for donations, I had to give them that,” Sutton said. “Neither me nor my ex-husband wanted to keep it.”

Also involved with the event was Ombu Lifestyle. They auctioned off their eco-friendly shoes, which are made out of recycled products. Some of their proceeds also went to the Re-Hope Foundation.

“I think the event turned out better then expected and it actually went well,” said Forero.

Sean Leonardo may be contacted at sleonardo@themiamihurricane.com.

Sean Leonardo