Holiday Hope Tree

The Holiday Hope Tree will supply underprivileged children with toys this season.

The university’s longest running annual toy drive, coordinated by the Butler Center, aims to collect 1,000 toys that will be distributed to children throughout the Miami area.

“This year we have received a lot more help than previous years, we are building a community,” said Claire Heckerman, the senior in charge of the toy drive.

Various organizations on campus such as the Association of Commuter Students (ACS), Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, INC., residential colleges and several others are lending a hand in collecting toys. Individuals like Christine Ira are also participating by “adopting” children at the UC information desk. Ira is taking part in the toy drive for the first time this year.

“I picked a fifth grade girl and immediately called my younger sister to see what to get her, I wish I was there to see her face when she opens her gift,” says Ira.

This year the ACS has pledged to collect a minimum of 100 toys which will they will present to the kids during a party they will throw for them on Dec. 17.

Most of the children receiving gifts range in age from newborn to early teens. But in recent years the toy drive has also taken on “Be a Santa to a Senior,” a campaign that collects items for homebound senior citizens. The seniors request practical gifts like bath robes and alarm clocks while the most popular children’s requests are for tricycles and ride on toys.

“Last year President Donna Shalala donated ten stand-up fans for seniors and someone actually donated a full-on keyboard that a child requested,” explains Heckerman.

Unfortunately not all children are lucky enough to get the gift of their dreams.  The children who receive gifts through this toy drive are typically from low income families, are in foster care or are patients at local hospitals.

“It’s always really sad when parents request diapers for their children, they don’t request toys because they can’t even afford necessities like diapers,” explains Heckerman.

Whether it’s diapers, board games or gift cards, each item donated helps put a smile on a child and on a families face this December. The final day to bring a new, unwrapped gift to the UC is Wednesday, Nov. 24.

Ali Kitenplon may be contacted at akitenplon@themiamihurricane.com.

Ali Kitenplon

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Holiday Hope Tree”

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...