Former UM professor arrested for child porn

Courtesy of Devereaux Sterrette of The GW Hatchet

Last month, a former UM Italian professor was arrested and charged in federal court for possession of child pornography. He was arrested in Washington, D.C., where he was currently teaching at George Washington University.

Diego Fasolini, who was a visiting professor at UM from 2008 to 2009, was caught with a hard drive that contained more than 100,000 videos and photographs of prepubescent children. Some of the images depicted children being duct taped and sexually abused.

Fasolini is being charged with twocounts of possession of child pornography, which carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison for each count.

On Oct. 18, Fasolini entered the Columbian College Office of Technology Services at GWU for a technical problem with his external hard drive.

Fasolini returned to the office on Oct. 25 to drop off his hard drive and requested that an employee back up his hard drive and restore the data to a new drive. Upon completion of the back-up, the technical support analyst opened up a couple of files to ensure they were valid and not corrupt. This is when the employee encountered the pornographic images, and notified the police.

Fasolini, 42, was arrested and held in prison since his arrest on Oct. 28 until last Friday, the date of his preliminary and detention hearing, when his attorney and the prosecution decided to try to resolve the case outside of trial.

“If a resolution can be reached that satisfies both parties, then it saves the time and expense of a trial. It just makes things easier,” Fasolini’s attorney Shawn Moore said after Friday’s hearing, as reported by senior news editor Emily Cahn of The GW Hatchet.

Fasolini’s next court date is Dec. 10. Until then he will be electronically monitored. Magistrate Judge Alan Kay ruled that Fasolini is prohibited from using computers “for the purpose of downloading any child porn or porn otherwise.”

Fasolini is suspended from GWU pending the outcome of the case.

This incident is not the first that Fasolini has had with university police. As a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2000, Fasolini, then 32, was charged with stealing a wallet from the school library and withdrawing $1,500 using an automatic teller machine.

“Fasolini pleaded guilty and prosecutors dropped the charges after he successfully completed a program for first-time offenders, according to court records in Wisconsin,” reported The Washington Examiner.

The Miami Hurricane reached out to several UM personnel for a comment; however, none offered a statement.

Rebecca Zimmer at the rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...