Album review: “The Other Side of Zero” by Elizabeth and the Catapult

Elizabeth and the Catapult is a trio lead by Elizabeth Ziman, who has a gorgeous, smooth voice and a wide vocal range.  Their sound falls into that ambiguous category of pop-rock-indie-folk—layered pianos, acoustic guitars, banjos, a myriad of clattering percussion instruments, male and female vocalists—and they have interesting interpretations of the popular sub-genre.  The vocalist and guitarist attended the Berklee School of Music, so you know they are talented.

However, their latest effort, “The Other Side of Zero,” is lacking.  Some songs sound similar to tracks on Lindsey Buckingham’s “Gift of Screws” and The Hush Sound’s “Like Vines.” But they do not have Buckingham’s raw talent or The Hush Sound’s infectious hooks that climax into satisfying refrains. Most songs start off well— for example “Julian, Darling” has a catchy, piano driven verse, but it does not build into anything more substantial.

The lyrics are cliché.  They paint broad strokes that are neither thought provoking nor arouse a genuine emotional response.  In “The Horse & The Missing Cart,” Ziman warns us that we should not “live by too many morals” or “preach” ourselves “out of too much life.” Not bad advice, but there is nothing relatable to back it up. Ziman settles for vague metaphors like “enjoy the first sip before you finish the bottle.” These abstract, impersonal statements pervade almost every track.

Yet the album does have some memorable songs.  A banging piano and bass drum give “(Time) We All Fall Down” a catchy marching feel that works well with Ziman’s impressive vocal display. In “Dreamcatcher,” Ziman delicately hits high notes and there is an unusual twinge of urgency in her voice.  The song also features slick instrumentation—banjos and guitars intertwine with a minimalistic, but lively clapping percussion. Ziman’s voice soars over a gentle string section and soft, low piano chords in the beautiful “Do Not Hang Your Head.”

Overall, “The Other Side of Zero” is not great, but it is worth checking out to see where a potentially great band is heading.

William McAuliffe may be contacted at wmcauliffe@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:

“The Other Side of Zero” by Elizabeth and the Catapult

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Label: Verve Forecast

Released: Oct. 25

Sample track downloads:
“Go Away My Lover”
“You and Me”

William McAuliffe

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...