Stir it up this Saturday at the inaugural Bayside Rocks Festival

Toots & The Maytals perform at Bayside Rocks. Courtesy of Circle of One Marketing

Join Bunny Wailer, Steel Pulse, Toots & the Maytals, Midnite, as well as others artists and over 10,000 fans at the inaugural Bayside Rocks Festival this Saturday, Nov. 20. Advertised as a “cultural celebration and explosion,” the world music and arts festival will take place in Bayfront Park.

Very similar to UM’s own Peace and Love concert, the Bayside Rocks Festival aims to bring people together through shared ideals, uniting their audience through positive energy and the feeling that we are one. The festival has been dubbed the “Woodstock of reggae,” because of the lineup of reggae-oriented performers.

Joe Braun, a UM alumnus, is particularly excited about seeing Toots & the Maytals at the festival.

“I heard they’re a great live act- that he’s completely crazy onstage,” he said. “I think it will bring an international audience. Reggae music brings about a sense of community, and I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in a good place.”

Bunny Wailer, a legendary reggae icon, a three-time Grammy Award winner, and one of the original members of The Wailers, is headlining the festival.

“I’ve played in Miami before- I’m just excited about the party!” he said.

In addition to performing, Wailer will do a presentation on the history of The Wailers and reggae music. With his music, he hopes to spread a few positive messages to his fans.

“First, remember that each and every one of us is a member of the human family. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” Wailer said. “Continue the struggle for what one believes in and be confident of the victory of good over evil. And finally, one heart, one soul, one mind, one destiny, one creator of all creations,” he said.

He also mentioned that a majority of the music that he will play at the festival will be Wailers’ songs.

“The Wailers are the foundation of the solo artists who came from them- once a wailer, always a wailer,” he explained. “Whether it’s dancing music, message in the music, or poetic music, I stay in the past and say the wailers are my foundation. In this great future, you must never forget the past. If you don’t where you’re coming from, you don’t know where you’re going- you don’t have a destiny, you have to have an end of the road, wherever you may be.”

For just the first year of the festival, expectations are high. With over 10,000 people expected to attend this year, the event is imagined to grow into one of the most anticipated cultural music festivals in Florida. However, with three Grammy award-winning artists on board to perform and an excited group of fans, these assumptions are likely to be true.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Bayside Rocks Festival

WHEN: Saturday, 3 p.m.-Midnight

WHERE: Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Boulevard, Miami

COST: General admission $35, VIP ticket $55. Tickets available in stores, online and by phone, visit Baysiderocksfestival.com for more information or call 305-542-7560.

ARTISTS: Artists performing at the festival include: Bunny Wailer, Steel Pulse, Toots & the Maytals, Midnite, Marcia Griffiths, Cultura Profetica, Uriel Hamilton, Mixed Culture, Bootleg, Soulflower Empress and Calibe.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...