Plot moves nowhere in ‘Nowhere Boy’

Courtesy Flickr

“Nowhere Boy” is not a biopic of John Lennon’s life. It is also not about the formation of the Beatles, though that is a forgone conclusion by the end of the film.
“Nowhere Boy” portrays just a brief part of Lennon’s formative years in Liverpool, particularly the struggle between his strict aunt who was his guardian (Kristin Scott Thomas) and his freewheeling mother (Anne-Marie Duff) for his loyalty and love.

Aaron Johnson absolutely smolders as the young Lennon. His charisma is obvious and one would imagine, since he was a contender for the “Spiderman” reboot, that he has a long and impressive career in front of him.

Scott Thomas is phenomenal, which is no surprise,  she does stern better than anyone, and Duff’s performance is impressive in its utter insanity. The ubiquitous British actor David Morrisey is predictably excellent as Lennon’s reluctant stepfather, and Thomas Sangster, having made his lovelorn mark in “Love Actually,” is fantastic if completely physically miscast as a young Paul McCartney.

The main flaw of “Nowhere Boy” is that, for a time, it seems to actually be going nowhere. There is little plot development until the end, when the film progresses beyond the question of which female family member Lennon likes more. Still, though, the performances are uniformly excellent.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

“Nowhere Boy”
Rating: 2.5/4 stars
Starring: Aaron Johnson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Anne-Marie Duff
Directed By: Sam Taylor-Wood

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...