The book fair is back

Courtesy of Miami Book Fair International

Now in its 26th year, the Miami Book Fair International will be held this week.

Known by many as one of the nation’s finest literary festivals, the event has become popular with both readers and writers all over South Florida.

The book fair will mainly include  an abundance of books. Along with the written word, visual art will be on display throughout the fair as well. Presented by the Florida Center for the Literary Arts at Miami-Dade College, multiple famous authors and artists will host lectures at the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami.

“I am excited to soon be able to see the sculptures,” said sophomore Adriana Ferrari, an art student. “I hope to find modern, innovative art on display.”

Some highlights of the book fair will include the Festival of Authors, The Comix Gallery, Celebrating Mexico, Arts at the Fair, Twilight Tastings, Children’s Alley and the Street Fair.

This year, many notable figures will be visiting the fair, including famed filmmaker John Waters, spoken word performer and musician Patti Smith and author Pat Conroy.

“It will be an honor to see Patti Smith, she is such an important person in the music and literary world,” freshman Shelby Smithey said.

One new event gaining popularity is the Comix Gallery. This area will feature discussions on how significant comics and graphic novels have become in contemporary literature and film. It is a timely topic, as many graphic novels have been adapted into movies in recent years.

“I think it is so cool that they will have graphic novels,” freshman Shimul Gajjar said. “That will appeal to a lot of people.”
The Miami Book Fair International is open to the public. For more information and a detailed schedule, visit miamibookfair.com.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...