The book fair is back

Courtesy of Miami Book Fair International

Now in its 26th year, the Miami Book Fair International will be held this week.

Known by many as one of the nation’s finest literary festivals, the event has become popular with both readers and writers all over South Florida.

The book fair will mainly include  an abundance of books. Along with the written word, visual art will be on display throughout the fair as well. Presented by the Florida Center for the Literary Arts at Miami-Dade College, multiple famous authors and artists will host lectures at the Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami.

“I am excited to soon be able to see the sculptures,” said sophomore Adriana Ferrari, an art student. “I hope to find modern, innovative art on display.”

Some highlights of the book fair will include the Festival of Authors, The Comix Gallery, Celebrating Mexico, Arts at the Fair, Twilight Tastings, Children’s Alley and the Street Fair.

This year, many notable figures will be visiting the fair, including famed filmmaker John Waters, spoken word performer and musician Patti Smith and author Pat Conroy.

“It will be an honor to see Patti Smith, she is such an important person in the music and literary world,” freshman Shelby Smithey said.

One new event gaining popularity is the Comix Gallery. This area will feature discussions on how significant comics and graphic novels have become in contemporary literature and film. It is a timely topic, as many graphic novels have been adapted into movies in recent years.

“I think it is so cool that they will have graphic novels,” freshman Shimul Gajjar said. “That will appeal to a lot of people.”
The Miami Book Fair International is open to the public. For more information and a detailed schedule, visit miamibookfair.com.

Caroline Helmers may be contacted at chelmers@themiamihurricane.com.

Caroline Helmers

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...