Sports briefs 11/15

Cross Country

The men and women’s cross country teams both competed in the NCAA Cross Country South Regional Championships this past Saturday. Freshman Brooke Dovell led the women’s team, running the third-best time in UM history in the 6k race at 21:53.12. Sophomore Greg Kaczka led the men, running the 10k in 32:11.32, the fifth fastest time in school history. The Canes are off until January, when the indoor track season begins in Clemson on January 14.

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami Women’s tennis team took home championships in both the singles and doubles championship of the 2010 Lakewood Ranch Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic on Sunday afternoon. Senior Bianca Eichkorn won the singles title in convincing fashion, defeating Notre Dame’s Chrissie McGaffigan (6-4, 6-1) to notch her second championship of the fall. In doubles, the duo of Gabriela Mejia and Kayla Rizzolo took care of their match against Oklahoma State, winning 8-1. The Canes now turn their attention to the spring season, which kicks off on Jan.21 against Florida Atlantic.

Women’s Basketball

After ending last year with a heartbreaking 73-61 loss to the California Bears in last year’s WNIT championship game, the Canes started off the season with a commanding 93-39 win over Kennesaw State on Friday afternoon. Riquana Williams and Morgan Stroman both recorded a game-high 21 points and both recorded a double-double on the afternoon, along with Shenise Johnson. The Hurricanes will next take on Nebraska on November 17.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...