Trojan’s health report marks improvement

Graphic by Brittney Bomnin//Art Director

At this stage of the game, it may be surprising that some college students are more sexually savvy than others.

Trojan brand condoms partnered with Rock the Vote and Sperling’s Best Places to put together Trojan’s Fifth Annual Sexual Health Report. The study rated 141 universities and colleges in America, ranking them from the most sexually healthy (Columbia University) to the least (University of Idaho).

While UM did show improvement by moving up from 68 to 56 in the rankings last year, it still remains rather low in comparison to other Florida universities.

The University of Florida ranked 17 and Florida Atlantic University came in one position lower. Florida International University even ranked higher than Miami at 49.

Universities were placed according to their student health center’s services based on 13 categories that varied from availability of condoms and contraceptives to on-site HIV and STI testing. Anonymous advice for students through the student health center’s Web site as well as the site’s usability and functionality were taken into account.

Schools across the country have been mirroring Columbia’s sexual health online resource, “Ask Alice,” which gives students the option to submit sexual health questions anonymously rather than going to the health center.

“Columbia has always scored high in sexual health, ranking in the top 10 in the two previous studies for consistent availability of on-site HIV testing, free condoms, anonymous advice capabilities and student peer groups,” said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling’s BestPlaces, a Web site that analyzes data about people and places and rates them for major publications. “This combined with the success of Ask Alice helped propel them to number one spot in our study.”

Suelyn Chong, the administrative assistant at the University of Miami’s Student Health Center said that although UM was ranked number 56, the center is pleased that it has moved up from 68 in 2009. UM’s health center said that since last year it has improved and updated its Web site to include information about contraception and other valuable resources for students. Additional improvements are in progress for their Web site redesign.

“They do have pamphlets in the student health center with information, but having an online resource is well needed because it can be embarrassing to go inside the student health center and ask about STDs and stuff like that,” said Rosmary Ros, a freshmen in the College of Arts and Sciences.

However, students say the health center can still make improvements.

“I wish they gave free birth control besides condoms to students and free testing,” said Paola Esquijarosa, a sophomore in the School of Communications. “We pay a lot to attend UM, it’d be great if they gave us those.”

Rose Aviles may be contacted at raviles@themiamihurricane.com.

UM’s student health center services are readily available at the Student Health Service (SHS); students can make appointments online at mystudenthealth.miami.edu or they can walk in to the SHS.

Rose Aviles

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Trojan’s health report marks improvement”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...