Norm Parsons, Wellness Center Director

At 4 a.m., many UM students are just heading to bed. However, Wellness Center director Norm Parsons is just waking up. Though most would cringe at the idea of a 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. workday,

Parsons feels that his 38 years of early mornings have been worth it.

“I love the students. I also love to help our patrons understand how to live a higher quality life,” he said.

Parsons started his fitness career as a member of his college ROTC at West Virginia University. After getting his masters at WVU, he decided to stay and work with intramural sports there. He then worked for two years at the University of Michigan before deciding to leave the snow behind and move to Miami.

When Parsons first arrived at UM, he had a much smaller fitness area to work with.

“Our Department of Campus Sports and Recreation was basically only intramurals, special events, club sports, and an old gym called the Lane Recreation Center which had 2 basketball courts, 2 saunas, 2 small weight rooms and locker rooms,” said Rhonda DuBord, the associate director of the Department of Wellness and Recreation.

Now, weight machines line the walls of the center. Indoor basketball courts share the same floor as classrooms that hold programs like zumba and yoga. Though the center has made great strides since 1972, more improvements are occurring. By February 2011, the center plans to add 7,000 square feet. The new improvements will include two new multi-purpose rooms, a Pilates classroom, and a studio cycling room.

Though the new addition is a major change Norm has brought to the Center, he has always strived for continuous improvement through numerous smaller changes.

Junior Eric Hahn, who uses and works at the Center, experienced Norm’s passion for the Center firsthand.

“Last year I was really frustrated with a lot of things at the gym. People would walk underneath cables when I was doing cable crossovers, no one was re-racking weights, and I almost lost a toe because someone came close to dropping an 100 lb dumbbell on my foot. I filed a complaint card, and about a week later Parsons replied asking how the Center could correct some of these problems. It made me look at him in a whole different light,” Hahn said.

Parsons has also pushed for programs that do more than just tone muscles.

“A Wellness Center should help students spiritually, intellectually, socially and emotionally,” he said.

Programs unrelated to exercise, like cooking classes and smoking cessation courses, promote the importance of a healthy lifestyle outside the gym.

Though the center has gone through significant changes, Parsons’ dedication to exercise has not. Despite having knee surgery, he continues to play golf and cycle.

As a member of Iron Arrow, Parsons understands the importance of academics.

“Students can get a good education at the U, but they can get their life at the Wellness Center. Students have to be selfish-if they don’t take care of themselves, no one else will,” he said.
Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Pat Whitely, though not directly involved with the Center, has worked with Norm for 14 years.

“Norm has changed the vision of Wellness at UM,” she said.

Kylie Banks may be contacted at kbanks@themiamihurricane.com.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...