Soccer

Tricia Taliaferro dismissed after nine years at UM

The University of Miami Athletics Department announced Tuesday afternoon that it would not renew the contract of women’ soccer head coach Tricia Taliaferro.

The Athletic Department will begin a nationwide search for a new head coach to replace Taliaferro.

“I want to thank Coach Taliaferro for her nine years of devotion to the Miami soccer program,” said UM Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt.  “We have made positive strides in many areas. Our standard is athletic excellence at the national level and we will begin the search for new leadership immediately.”

Taliaferro coached nine years with the Hurricanes in the Big East and ACC conferences, amassing a record of 77-85-14.

She was awarded the 2007 ACC Coach of the Year award and the 2004 ACC Sportsmanship award. Under Taliaferro the Hurricanes won NCAA team academic awards seven years in a row.

The initial transition to the ACC was not easy for the Hurricanes. In Taliaferro’s first year in the ACC, the Canes finished the 2004 season 0-13-3. Ironically, it was a set of strong hurricanes that forced Miami to cancel three games and multiple practices that year.

Still, despite the disappointing record, seven of the Miami losses came by only one goal.

She made the NCAA tournament in 2007 and 2008. In 2008, she guided the team to its first 10 win season since joining the ACC.

It was under Taliaferro in 2009 that the Hurricanes got the biggest win in program history against No.2 North Carolina, becoming only the third ACC team to have two all-time wins against the Tar Heels.

In 2010 the Hurricanes beat Duke and Virginia Tech for the first time in program history.

Miami’s all time leading scorer Brittney Steinbruch and all time shutout leader Vikki Alonzo played their entire careers under Taliaferro.

Taliaferro also oversaw the first Cane to be drafted to a pro team when Beverly Goebel was drafted to the Washington Freedom in the third round last year.

The Hurricanes have missed the ACC and NCAA tournaments the last two years. This year they reached the 10 win mark for the second time since joining the ACC.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...