Club/Intramural Sports

Cricket club participates in tournament

Courtesy of Jodel Gopeesingh

When helmets with facemasks, gloves, and leg padding are involved students might start pulling out the lawn chairs, barbeque, and corn hole to start tailgating for a football game. But this past Homecoming weekend, nine players of UM’s Club Cricket team traveled to Central Broward Regional Park to compete in the American College Cricket Regional Championships.

“It was like a club sport playing basketball in the American Airlines Arena,” said junior Shahaan Razak, president of club cricket, “It was a big step for us.”

Central Broward Regional Park is the only certified international cricket stadium in the United States.

The tournament put the Canes up against the best teams in the southeast region including University of Tampa (UT), University of Central Florida (UCF), University of South Florida (USF), Florida International University (FIU), University of Florida (UF), and Auburn University.

“Compared to last year we did a lot better,” said senior Jodel Gopeesingh, the club’s treasurer, “a lot of the guys never played cricket before this year.”

The team is very young as all but two players graduated last semester.

“It’s really strange to come here and play with people who have never played,” said freshman Warren Perumal, vice president of the club and international student from Sri Lanka, “I’ve played since I could walk, in Southeast Asia everyone plays.”

Cricket can easily be compared with baseball as it is a bat and ball sport but the two are very different. Where in baseball you have nine innings, in cricket there are only two. So as soon as the first inning ends the other team immediately knows what score they have to beat and the first batting team doesn’t get a chance to come back.

There are also several different ways of playing cricket. The classic way, that professionals would play can last several days because a whole team will bat and each batter, or batsman in cricket terms, will continue hitting until they get out. The other various versions were created to limit the number of pitches thrown, or bowls in cricket terms, to shorten the game.

“The shorter play draws a better crowd,” said Gopeesingh, “games last from two and half to three hours rather than all day.”

The style they played in the tournament was called 20 over. An over is six bowls and pitchers, bowlers in cricket terms, switch out every over. The style is called 20 over because each inning consists of 20 overs or 120 pitches.

The team lost to UT and UF to knock them out of the tournament.

“It was a world class experience that I didn’t want the team to miss out on,” said Razak, “we all had a lot of fun.”

UM Club Cricket practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. on the Yaron IM fields, all are welcome.

Sandra Montalvo may be contacted at smontalvo@themiamihurricane.com.

Sandra Montalvo

Contributing Sports Writer

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...