Uncle Kracker cranks beats Thursday

Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album, “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions,” a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.” He will be perform Thursday night at Round Up Country Western Nightclub. Courtesy Atlantic Records

Heading for yet another Thursday night at ‘Cudas and Tavern? Then try something a little out of the ordinary this week. Uncle Kracker is coming to South Florida this Thursday for an intimate concert at Round Up Country Western Nightclub, which will be sure to “make you smile.”
Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions.” This CD is a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.”
On this album Uncle Kracker reinterprets some of the songs on “Happy Hour,” including the country version of “Smile,” a top-five country hit, and his new single “Good to be Me,” featuring his good friend Kid Rock.
“I would describe Uncle Kracker’s music as pop-rock, [more]than anything else,” junior Asha Agrawal said. “I like that it is laid back, but still upbeat.”
“Happy Hour” and his new follow-up album both feature country-influenced pop-rock ballads and showcase his talents as a songwriter. These are perfect songs to sway to with a drink in your hand when he performs on the Round Up stage, a private setting that holds a maximum of 1,000 people.
“I have never been to a concert at Round Up before,” junior Genevieve Stack said. “But I think that Uncle Kracker would be a great first act to see.”
If you haven’t heard of Uncle Kracker’s new material, he has definitely changed from his eight-year stint as Kid Rock’s DJ in his Twisted Brown Trucker Band. “Happy Hour” is his second solo album and the first he has put out in five years. The songwriter waited to find just the right sound for his sophomore album.
Round Up night club likes to bring up-and-coming artists to their stage and most of their shows are from September to March or April.
Paul Gumus, a manager at the club, said that it is all about timing and hopes that Uncle Kracker will bring in some new patrons to the country-western entertainment venue.
“So far we’ve had a good response,” Gumus said. “And we will have a good show on Thursday.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

If you Go:

WHAT: Uncle Kracker, performing at Round Up Country Western Nightclub

WHEN: Nov. 11. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the concert begins at 9 p.m.

WHERE: 9020 W. State Road 84, Davie (SW Corner of Pine Island Road and Interstate 595)

COST: Tickets are $20 in advance (Roundupcountry.com) and $25 at the door

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...