Uncle Kracker cranks beats Thursday

Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album, “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions,” a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.” He will be perform Thursday night at Round Up Country Western Nightclub. Courtesy Atlantic Records

Heading for yet another Thursday night at ‘Cudas and Tavern? Then try something a little out of the ordinary this week. Uncle Kracker is coming to South Florida this Thursday for an intimate concert at Round Up Country Western Nightclub, which will be sure to “make you smile.”
Uncle Kracker is touring to promote his new album “Happy Hour- The South River Road Sessions.” This CD is a six-song follow-up to his 2009 CD “Happy Hour.”
On this album Uncle Kracker reinterprets some of the songs on “Happy Hour,” including the country version of “Smile,” a top-five country hit, and his new single “Good to be Me,” featuring his good friend Kid Rock.
“I would describe Uncle Kracker’s music as pop-rock, [more]than anything else,” junior Asha Agrawal said. “I like that it is laid back, but still upbeat.”
“Happy Hour” and his new follow-up album both feature country-influenced pop-rock ballads and showcase his talents as a songwriter. These are perfect songs to sway to with a drink in your hand when he performs on the Round Up stage, a private setting that holds a maximum of 1,000 people.
“I have never been to a concert at Round Up before,” junior Genevieve Stack said. “But I think that Uncle Kracker would be a great first act to see.”
If you haven’t heard of Uncle Kracker’s new material, he has definitely changed from his eight-year stint as Kid Rock’s DJ in his Twisted Brown Trucker Band. “Happy Hour” is his second solo album and the first he has put out in five years. The songwriter waited to find just the right sound for his sophomore album.
Round Up night club likes to bring up-and-coming artists to their stage and most of their shows are from September to March or April.
Paul Gumus, a manager at the club, said that it is all about timing and hopes that Uncle Kracker will bring in some new patrons to the country-western entertainment venue.
“So far we’ve had a good response,” Gumus said. “And we will have a good show on Thursday.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

If you Go:

WHAT: Uncle Kracker, performing at Round Up Country Western Nightclub

WHEN: Nov. 11. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the concert begins at 9 p.m.

WHERE: 9020 W. State Road 84, Davie (SW Corner of Pine Island Road and Interstate 595)

COST: Tickets are $20 in advance (Roundupcountry.com) and $25 at the door

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...