Sports briefs 11/8

Rowing

Still going on.

Swimming & Diving

The University of Miami swimming team improved to 4-1 this season after its 139-103 win this past weekend over the University of Houston. The win is the eighth in the last nine contests for the swim team. Sophomore Christine Anderson set a new UM record in the 1650-yard freestyle, finishing in 17:09.91. The diving team claimed the top three spots on the 1-meter springboard. The Canes will head to the Georgia Tech Invitational on Nov. 19.

Men’s tennis

Junior Santiago Nieto came away with three straight singles wins at the Texas Invitational before taking a loss in the semifinals. He started off strong against Oklahoma’s John Warden, but ultimately fell (6-3, 6-2, 6-1). In doubles, Nieto and senior Christian Blocker lost for the first time in their last four matches. The Hurricanes end the fall portion of their schedule in Sarasota from Friday-Sunday.

Women’s tennis

All-American Senior Bianca Eichkorn lost her second match in the consolation round of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championship. The Canes will compete in the Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic starting on Friday.

Women’s basketball

The Women’s basketball team came away with a win in their only exhibition game of the season, pulling away in the second half to win 95-62 over Rollins College. Riquana Williams scored 28 points in 26 minutes of play and Shenise Johnson added 18. Their regular season starts on Friday against Kennesaw State at noon.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports briefs 11/8”

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...