Sports briefs 11/8

Rowing

Still going on.

Swimming & Diving

The University of Miami swimming team improved to 4-1 this season after its 139-103 win this past weekend over the University of Houston. The win is the eighth in the last nine contests for the swim team. Sophomore Christine Anderson set a new UM record in the 1650-yard freestyle, finishing in 17:09.91. The diving team claimed the top three spots on the 1-meter springboard. The Canes will head to the Georgia Tech Invitational on Nov. 19.

Men’s tennis

Junior Santiago Nieto came away with three straight singles wins at the Texas Invitational before taking a loss in the semifinals. He started off strong against Oklahoma’s John Warden, but ultimately fell (6-3, 6-2, 6-1). In doubles, Nieto and senior Christian Blocker lost for the first time in their last four matches. The Hurricanes end the fall portion of their schedule in Sarasota from Friday-Sunday.

Women’s tennis

All-American Senior Bianca Eichkorn lost her second match in the consolation round of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championship. The Canes will compete in the Intercollegiate Clay Court Classic starting on Friday.

Women’s basketball

The Women’s basketball team came away with a win in their only exhibition game of the season, pulling away in the second half to win 95-62 over Rollins College. Riquana Williams scored 28 points in 26 minutes of play and Shenise Johnson added 18. Their regular season starts on Friday against Kennesaw State at noon.

Ernesto Suarez can be contacted at asstsports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...