News Briefs 11/8

“Islands of the Sun” Book Signing & Art Show

University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science, together with the Bahamas Marine EcoCentre and The Nature Conservancy, will host a book signing and art show featuring “Islands of the Sun: a Tribute to the Northern Exuma Cays, Bahamas.” The event will take place on Thursday from 6-9 p.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science. RSVP to clovinsky@rsmas.miami.edu or call 305-421-4061.

Miami Poverty Conference

Applications for the 2011 Executive Board for the Miami Poverty Conference must be submitted to the Butler Center no later than Tuesday at 5 p.m. E-mailed applications will not be accepted. If you have an questions, email UMpovconf@gmail.com.

Spoken Word Wednesdays

Every second Wednesday of the month is Spoken Word Wednesday at the Rathskeller. Come out for a student-filled open mic and see the Write Side Poets. Food will be available, and an open mic for any interested students.  To reserve a spot visit urathskeller.com or e-mail a.davis19@umiami.edu.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...