News Briefs 11/8

“Islands of the Sun” Book Signing & Art Show

University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science, together with the Bahamas Marine EcoCentre and The Nature Conservancy, will host a book signing and art show featuring “Islands of the Sun: a Tribute to the Northern Exuma Cays, Bahamas.” The event will take place on Thursday from 6-9 p.m. at the Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science. RSVP to clovinsky@rsmas.miami.edu or call 305-421-4061.

Miami Poverty Conference

Applications for the 2011 Executive Board for the Miami Poverty Conference must be submitted to the Butler Center no later than Tuesday at 5 p.m. E-mailed applications will not be accepted. If you have an questions, email UMpovconf@gmail.com.

Spoken Word Wednesdays

Every second Wednesday of the month is Spoken Word Wednesday at the Rathskeller. Come out for a student-filled open mic and see the Write Side Poets. Food will be available, and an open mic for any interested students.  To reserve a spot visit urathskeller.com or e-mail a.davis19@umiami.edu.

Parker Davis may be contacted at pdavis@themiamihurricane.com.

Parker Davis

Assistant News Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...