Basketball

New student section layout for men’s basketball games

Hate sitting in the upper level of the Bank United Center during basketball season? After some changes were made to the layout of the student section, that might no longer be a problem.

Beginning with last Wednesday’s exhibition game against Barry University, changes have been made to the layout at the BankUnited Center. In order to accommodate more students, the student section has been expanded to include all of the lower sections at their end of the arena.

“After last year, (Category 5) tried to figure out ways to improve the student section,” said Brandon Mitchell, Category 5 Chairperson. “Our goal was to increase and better the experience of going to a UM basketball game.”

After being called out by ESPN last season for not giving off any kind of home-court advantage, Category 5 aimed to change that as well. Along with the additions to the seating, the band will also be moving, sitting right alongside the students.

To top it all off, the Hurricanes and visitor’s benches have been switched for the remainder of the season. No longer will students be as close to their team, but it will give them the opportunity to put visiting teams at a disadvantage, with both the band and the students giving them trouble.

“I feel like having more bodies on our side of the stands gives our team a sense of home court advantage, so I like the move,” said junior Ponciano Gari. “Hopefully it will pump up our players and get us more wins this season.”

Even before the proposed changes, Miami fans have been known for trying to irritate their opponents during games, and succeeding at it at times. Last years Duke-Miami game will forever live in infamy as the game where Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski got frustrated at a Miami student who was blowing a conch in the stands, frustrated enough to the point he complained to stadium officials, who took the conch away.

The changes will only be seen for men’s basketball games as of now. Although Miami fans always have their own creative ways of backing their team and provoking the opposition, many hope these changes can help give that extra advantage in the stands.

“We really wanted to make it so that students attending the game don’t just watch the game; we want them to feel like they are actually a part of the hurricane force,” Mitchell said.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...