Volleyball

Canes split weekend matches in Atlanta and South Carolina

For the third consecutive weekend the University of Miami volleyball team split its weekend series against ACC opponents.

Miami (18-8, 8-7) beat Clemson handily for the second time this season on Friday night but fell to Georgia Tech the following evening on Saturday.

It was the second time this season that the Yellow Jackets got the best of the Hurricanes. Back in October Miami lost to the Ramblin’ Wreck at home in a tough five set match.

This time Georgia Tech only needed four sets to win, beating the ‘Canes 3-1 by set scores of 25-17, 20-25, 25-17 and 25-21.

Nonetheless the ‘Canes were able to keep their ACC record about .500 with the split.

As has been the case all season long junior outside hitter Lane Carico was dominant all weekend long.

Against Clemson she recorded 21 kills and 22 digs, and in the loss to Georgia Tech Carico nabbed 17 kills and 15 digs, which was good for her 11th consecutive double-double.

Carico has been the most consistent player on the Hurricanes roster this year. She has stepped up big time in her first official season as an upperclassman and has played at a high level on both side of the ball.

The outside hitter has been a force to be reckoned with offensively for her entire career, but this year she has also been a consistent source of defense for head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch.

The loss to Georgia tech marked the end of a four game road stretch that saw the Hurricanes go 2-2.

The team will return home to Coral Gables this upcoming weekend to face off against two ACC opponents that they have already lost to this season.

Earlier in the year Miami hit the road to play NC State and North Carolina respectively and did not win a set the entire weekend.

The Hurricanes will look to reverse those fortunes and finish off the season strong.

Miami only has five matches remaining on the year, four of which are at home. Aside from the aforementioned NC State and North Carolina, the Hurricanes will also play Boston College and Maryland, two teams that the ‘Canes dominated earlier in the year.

The Hurricanes will finish off the year playing at Florida State the Friday following thanksgiving, and will need to post a solid record in those final five games if they hope to return to the NCAA tournament.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...