Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor

I would like to correct the misrepresentations discussed in the column, “Breaking down Greek brotherhood.”

To start, Greek life is more than “a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking about boobies all day.” Greek life develops a foundation of brotherhood, not an illusion of people “pretending to be friendly with ‘brothers.’”

I actually am comfortable enough to call my younger brother “bro” because I love him and I love my brothers in Phi Delta Theta as well. It is a mistake to believe that “brotherhood” is exclusive to sharing parents, and I can see how one with little knowledge on the matter could misunderstand its meaning.

In the aforementioned article, I learned that the author wishes to start a chapter of Sigma Mu Delta, which is apparently a medical fraternity. A little bit of research is all it takes to qualify as “journalism.” Take the hint.

I would also like to add that in addition to the two rather obvious benefits mentioned in the article, which were “networking” and “keeping busy,” there are more that I am sure the author was not aware of. It was not mentioned that each individual chapter supports a philanthropic organization and that the Greek community on average accumulates over $180,000 each year campus-wide.

Let it also be known that even though Greek life accounts for only 18 percent of the student population, 85 percent of the leaders at the University of Miami are Greek.

I understand that Greek life is not for everyone. In fact, I would not be a good Interfraternity Council President if I encouraged every person on this campus to go Greek, because I would be wrong to do so. But before writing an article that explicitly states that the aspect of college that I love most is not “cool enough,” make sure to research all of the relevant information prior to publicly insulting nearly every great American in history. Hint: Most are Greek.

Finally, if you ever do decide to get married, keep in mind that nobody in any room I have ever been in wants to be your best man.

Ethan J. Alpern

President of the Interfraternity Council

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...