Former runner keeps sprinting toward goals

RACING TO SUCCESS: Lauryn Williams runs as a University of Miami athlete. Williams’ mantra, “Hear the gun and run,” is the phrase she claims always helps her increase speed on the track. Courtesy UM Media Relations

As she awaits the gunshot, poised at the starting line, Lauryn Williams’ eyes reveal determination, her legs strength. Quick out of the blocks, she pulls away from most competitors, crossing the finish line three-tenths of a second behind first place in the 100-meter dash.

Her reward: A Silver Medal in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the highlight in a career replete with honors for the 2004 University of Miami graduate who still trains at UM with an eye toward 2012 summer games.

Her mantra on the track: “Hear the gun and run.”

Off the track: helping others.

Measuring 5 feet 3 inches, Williams is more than just one of the fastest women in the world. She remains active in charitable work, raising money for USATF’s (United States of America Track and Field) “Be a Champion” scheme. She also helps needy youth and mentors student-athletes whenever she has free time.

“I just feel like if someone hadn’t seen my potential and reached out to me I might not be where I am today,” Williams said. “So I have to do what I can to have that same impact on other children’s lives.”

Her gentle nature likely took root in her tender upbringing, growing up in suburban Pittsburgh and Detroit with five sisters and two brothers. Yet track and field was in her genes from an early age.

Her mother, Donna Williams, first realized her daughter’s talent at age nine. Lauryn Williams was always speedier than her peers, but the mother took special note when her daughter outran the family dog, Ben. A science museum in Pittsburgh had a holographic representation of the “fastest woman in the world,” Florence Griffith-Joyner, and her father would test her to see if she could outpace it; when she did, the family signed her up to her first athletics club, the Detroit Theaters.

The former Canes’ focus intensified when she joined UM athletics in Fall 2001. While at UM, Williams picked up numerous titles, including U.S. Junior Champion in 2002, Pac Am gold medal in 2003 and NCAA 100-meter champion in 2004.

Her real achievement came when she qualified for the 2004 Olympics, gaining the third fastest time with only the top three qualifying. Williams was “definitely nervous” going to the Olympics at age 20, but as she stepped to the mark nothing went through her mind except “hear the gun and run.” She crossed the line taking a Silver Medal home for the USA.

In the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, her fast times and competiveness placed her as a perfect candidate for last leg in the 400 relay. Her second Olympic experience, however, did not go as well as her first. After a battle across the line she ended up fourth in the 100 meters. And then came the relay. The painful run included a baton drop between Torri Edwards and Williams which sparked controversy and critique from every angle. The photos of a distraught Edwards, face buried in her hands, spread across nearly every newspaper. Williams describes the moment as an “unfortunate circumstance,” refusing to cast blame.

Yet in true Williams’ fashion she kept going- picking up the baton and finishing the race, knowing the consequence of disqualification. She put her pride aside and ran to the end ignoring the disappointment felt from her country.

She demonstrates her mantra- “hard work know no limits’’- by continuing to train for the 2012 Olympics in London with long time UM coach Amy Deem. She still carries her Hurricane pride with her, as she works and trains at the university six years after graduation. Deem and Williams have been working together for 10 years now.

“She knows my body best and truly has my best interests at heart. She wants to see me do well,” Williams said of her coach.

Not only has Williams always excelled at sports, she graduated with a finance degree in 2004, which coincidently fit her primary ambition in life: to be smart and earn money.

“Sport allowed me to do this,” she said, her eyes looking toward 2012.

Kathryn Forth may be contacted at kforth@themiamihurricane.com.

Kathryn Forth

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...