Basketball, Sports

Canes bounce Buccaneers out of BUC

The game may not have counted, but it was a debut that will be remembered by the Hurricane newcomers for a very long time.

On Wednesday night at the BankUnited Center, the University of Miami men’s basketball team beat Barry University 102-33 in an exhibition contest.

That score may not even be indicative of how close the game was. Barry only made three three pointers in 24 attempts and had a microscopic three assists.

“The things I’m looking for are our defensive intensity, our stance, our ball pressure and rebounding and we got loose balls,” seventh-year head coach Frank Haith said. “We shot the ball really well and if we shoot like that we’ll win a lot of games”

Miami had five players totaling double figures in scoring. Junior small forward DeQuan Jones and redshirt junior guard Malcolm Grant paved the way for the newcomers and set the tone early. Jones tied for a team-high 16 points and chipped in with seven rebounds.

“Coach [Haith] put a big emphasis on rebounding,” Jones said. “He explained to me that if I just assert all my energy into rebounding, everything will take care of itself.”

Grant lived up to the offseason hype as he finished with 15 points, all coming via the three-pointer.

But it was the newbies that stole the show.

Freshman guard Rion Brown matched Jones’ 16 points and connected from long range four times. Freshman forward Erik Swoope hustled and drew key charges. His blue collar mentality kept the intensity up. Freshman forward Raphael Akpejiori recorded six points and five rebounds. Redshirt freshman forward Donnavan Kirk was flawless as he was four-for-four from the floor and recorded a double-double tallying 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Miami only allowed six points to Barry in the first 14 minutes of the second half.

“I think we did a really good job in the second half not letting up,” Grant said. “I think at times last year we would get sloppy.”

Miami next faces Florida Southern in another exhibition game. The game is Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the BankUnited Center and will be broadcast on 90.5 FM.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...