Sports, Volleyball

Split results in Virginia

The Hurricanes lost to Virginia on Friday night, but were able to bounce back on Saturday in a five-set victory over Virginia Tech.

Needless to say, it was a tough weekend for Miami teams facing off against the University of Virginia.

Despite winning the first set of the match against Virginia, 25-21, the Canes were handled by the Cavaliers with relative ease for the remainder of the contest.

Miami was not able to win another frame and lost 3-1 by set scores of 21-25, 25-21, 14-25 and 20-25.

The following night Miami (17-7, 7-6) rebounded and kept its ACC record above .500 by beating the Hokies, but it wasn’t easy.

After dominating the first set 25-14, the Hurricanes dropped the next two frames of the match and found themselves in a tough spot down 2-1.

Miami proved to be resilient, however, and gutted out its most impressive victory of the 2010 season.

Behind an outstanding performance from junior outside hitter Lane Carico, UM battled back. The team never trailed in the fourth set of the match, and was able to squeak out a fifth-set victory that went into extra points.

Carico finished the match with 20 kills and 15 digs, and the Hurricanes won the match by set scores of 25-14, 23-25, 24-25, 25-18 and 16-14.

The contests against Virginia and Virginia Tech were the first of four consecutive road matches for Miami. The upcoming match against Georgia Tech should hold some significance.

Earlier in the year Miami dropped a five-set decision to the Ramblin’ Wreck at home in front of a packed house at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Canes have only seven matches remaining in the season.

If head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s squad plays solid volleyball for the remainder of the season, it should find itself in a decent position to make it back to the NCAA Tournament.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...