Sports, Volleyball

Split results in Virginia

The Hurricanes lost to Virginia on Friday night, but were able to bounce back on Saturday in a five-set victory over Virginia Tech.

Needless to say, it was a tough weekend for Miami teams facing off against the University of Virginia.

Despite winning the first set of the match against Virginia, 25-21, the Canes were handled by the Cavaliers with relative ease for the remainder of the contest.

Miami was not able to win another frame and lost 3-1 by set scores of 21-25, 25-21, 14-25 and 20-25.

The following night Miami (17-7, 7-6) rebounded and kept its ACC record above .500 by beating the Hokies, but it wasn’t easy.

After dominating the first set 25-14, the Hurricanes dropped the next two frames of the match and found themselves in a tough spot down 2-1.

Miami proved to be resilient, however, and gutted out its most impressive victory of the 2010 season.

Behind an outstanding performance from junior outside hitter Lane Carico, UM battled back. The team never trailed in the fourth set of the match, and was able to squeak out a fifth-set victory that went into extra points.

Carico finished the match with 20 kills and 15 digs, and the Hurricanes won the match by set scores of 25-14, 23-25, 24-25, 25-18 and 16-14.

The contests against Virginia and Virginia Tech were the first of four consecutive road matches for Miami. The upcoming match against Georgia Tech should hold some significance.

Earlier in the year Miami dropped a five-set decision to the Ramblin’ Wreck at home in front of a packed house at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Canes have only seven matches remaining in the season.

If head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s squad plays solid volleyball for the remainder of the season, it should find itself in a decent position to make it back to the NCAA Tournament.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Adam Berger Staff Sports Writer

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...