Sports, Volleyball

Split results in Virginia

The Hurricanes lost to Virginia on Friday night, but were able to bounce back on Saturday in a five-set victory over Virginia Tech.

Needless to say, it was a tough weekend for Miami teams facing off against the University of Virginia.

Despite winning the first set of the match against Virginia, 25-21, the Canes were handled by the Cavaliers with relative ease for the remainder of the contest.

Miami was not able to win another frame and lost 3-1 by set scores of 21-25, 25-21, 14-25 and 20-25.

The following night Miami (17-7, 7-6) rebounded and kept its ACC record above .500 by beating the Hokies, but it wasn’t easy.

After dominating the first set 25-14, the Hurricanes dropped the next two frames of the match and found themselves in a tough spot down 2-1.

Miami proved to be resilient, however, and gutted out its most impressive victory of the 2010 season.

Behind an outstanding performance from junior outside hitter Lane Carico, UM battled back. The team never trailed in the fourth set of the match, and was able to squeak out a fifth-set victory that went into extra points.

Carico finished the match with 20 kills and 15 digs, and the Hurricanes won the match by set scores of 25-14, 23-25, 24-25, 25-18 and 16-14.

The contests against Virginia and Virginia Tech were the first of four consecutive road matches for Miami. The upcoming match against Georgia Tech should hold some significance.

Earlier in the year Miami dropped a five-set decision to the Ramblin’ Wreck at home in front of a packed house at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Canes have only seven matches remaining in the season.

If head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s squad plays solid volleyball for the remainder of the season, it should find itself in a decent position to make it back to the NCAA Tournament.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...