Prop 19 benefits blow away risks

This Tuesday, a “yes” vote for Proposition 19 in California could change state laws to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Also called the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010, this legislation would allow anyone 21-years-old or older to possess and carry up to one ounce of marijuana anywhere in the state.

Regardless of whether you approve of the use of marijuana, it is important to recognize the benefits of its legalization. Not only will it provide a new stream of revenues for the government, but it will also push for economic growth and it will decrease the amount of drug-related violence.

Many people argue that the risks of marijuana exceed the benefits of legalization. Marijuana, however, is less dangerous and kills less people per year than alcohol and tobacco. Just like alcohol and cigarettes, marijuana would be regulated too.

People also argue that marijuana is a gateway drug. According to a study at the Division of Neuroscience at the Institute of Medicine, however, “there is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.”

Responsible marijuana smokers present no threat or danger to America. So why are we treating them like criminals? If California is the first state to legalize pot, and it works successfully, other states should definitely consider the same legislation.

Our nation wastes tons of money policing marijuana and worrying about someone smoking a blunt when there are more important issues that should be addressed. The solution is easy: legalize marijuana.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

7 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Prop 19 benefits blow away risks”

1. daniel says:

Personally I think that it is a great idea and that more states should take on laws like this, which would allow states and federal gov. to become more involved in things like illegal drug trafficing, and other things like that.

2. Darrin says:

The tea party needs to embrace legalization of pot. 1) Is the Tea party for state’s rights?
    2) This is about individual liberty. The right to relax using a mild God-given drug.
    3) Republicans have had this issue wrong all along.
    4) The more goverment expands; the more our individual liberties contract

3. Jennifer says:

Watch for more people being killed by drivers under the influence. They will be high anywhere.
    Is anyone an asthmatic that have trouble breathing? Watch for young minors doing drugs. I have seen people stoned and bad judgement. Kids in cars with high parents and being killed by drivers under the influence

4. Antismoking is not new. It has a long, sordid history. The three antismoking crusades of the last century have been eugenics-driven. In eugenics, health is erroneously reduced to an entirely biological phenomenon and where a self-installed elite attempt to engineer/breed a “better” human herd. In addition to a genetic aspect, eugenics views tobacco and alcohol as racial poisons needing to be eradicated (negative eugenics). Antismoking was rife in early-1900s USA. Smoking and tobacco sales were banned in quite a number of American states.
    http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1981/2/1981_2_94_pr
    Dillow (1981) notes that the bulk of antismoking claims were fraudulent and inflammatory. Dillow fails to note that the antismoking crusade of the early-1900s USA was eugenics-driven: Eugenics was mainstream in the USA at this time. At the turn of the last century, eugenics was mainstream in the USA, the UK, some European countries, and a number of Scandinavian countries. The USA appears to be the most prominent. The mega-wealthy in the USA (e.g., Rockefeller, Carnegie, Ford, Kellogg) were supporters and funders of eugenics (and antismoking, anti-alcohol) – and still are. Rockefeller and Ford were also prominent supporters of Nazi eugenics. (Rockefeller also created the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Foundation, and the American Lung Association in this eugenics framework). Rockefeller and Ford had trade agreements with the Nazis through the 1930s (see links below). There was also a very intimate relationship, through treaties, between Rockefeller’s Standard Oil and Germany’s IG Farben.

California performed, by far, more sterilizations than any other state in the first half of the last century.
    http://www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/CA/CA.html
    Some insight into the connection between American eugenics – California in particular – and Nazi eugenics.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2003%2F11%2F09%2FING9C2QSKB1.DTL

Antismoking reared its ugly head – again as an aspect of eugenics – in Nazi Germany. Hitler was a student of American eugenics. (It should also be noted that medicos and lawyers had the largest memberships within the Nazi Party).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2352989/pdf/bmj00571-0040.pdf

The current antismoking crusade is also eugenics-driven, albeit more masqueraded, i.e., crypto-eugenics. Please see the Godber Blueprint ( http://www.rampant-antismoking.com ).
    Antismoking always proceeds in the same way. Through “public health”, it promotes a plethora of inflammatory lies (propaganda) where the intent is to outrage particularly nonsmokers so that they will not question smoking bans or the persecution of smokers. Where antismoking is rampant, it is a critical symptom of dangerously misguided Public Health, e.g., medicos venturing again into dangerous social-engineering. Eugenics is a dangerous, shallow framework. In attempting to engineer a superior human “herd” (in biological terms), it promotes cruelty, bigotry, racism, tyranny, and social division/upheaval: It brings out the worst in human nature.
    There are now many state-government health departments in the USA (and the world) that are dominated by eugenicists. Not good.