Soccer

Last-minute losses

The University of Miami women’s soccer team began its tough weekend on the road falling 1-0 against No. 11 Boston College in a tough double-overtime loss on Thursday night.

The Eagles dominated the game, outshooting the Hurricanes 22-8 in the game, though Miami gained momentum as the game progressed.

Six of the Hurricanes’ shots came in the last 10 minutes of regulation and overtime.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had one of the best games of her career, recording nine saves, including saves on two Eagle penalty kicks.

The Hurricanes had their best chance at a goal in the 81st minute, when a shot by senior Brittney Steinbruch hit the Eagles’ post.

On Sunday, Miami traveled to College Park to face No. 3 Maryland and lost another close game, 2-1.

The Terps got on the scoreboard quickly with a goal just four minutes into the game by Danielle Hupka.

Freshman Tara Schwitter countered as she gave life to the Hurricanes, recording her third goal of the season in the 46th minute.

In the 75th minute, Lyda Hastings finished off the game with a header off a pass by Skyy Anderson to make the final score 2-1.

This time, it was the Terps goalie Yewande Balogun who aided Maryland to victory, recording five saves in the game as the Canes put up a solid effort on the road.

With the loss and a commanding 4-0 Virginia Tech victory over North Carolina State, the Hurricanes finished the season ranked ninth in the conference and miss out on the ACC Tournament.

Disqualification from the ACC Tournament does not eliminate the Hurricanes from contention in the NCAA Tournament, considering the tough schedule of the conference, which includes three teams ranked in the top 10 (UNC, BC, UVA).

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...