Soccer

Last-minute losses

The University of Miami women’s soccer team began its tough weekend on the road falling 1-0 against No. 11 Boston College in a tough double-overtime loss on Thursday night.

The Eagles dominated the game, outshooting the Hurricanes 22-8 in the game, though Miami gained momentum as the game progressed.

Six of the Hurricanes’ shots came in the last 10 minutes of regulation and overtime.

Junior keeper Vikki Alonzo had one of the best games of her career, recording nine saves, including saves on two Eagle penalty kicks.

The Hurricanes had their best chance at a goal in the 81st minute, when a shot by senior Brittney Steinbruch hit the Eagles’ post.

On Sunday, Miami traveled to College Park to face No. 3 Maryland and lost another close game, 2-1.

The Terps got on the scoreboard quickly with a goal just four minutes into the game by Danielle Hupka.

Freshman Tara Schwitter countered as she gave life to the Hurricanes, recording her third goal of the season in the 46th minute.

In the 75th minute, Lyda Hastings finished off the game with a header off a pass by Skyy Anderson to make the final score 2-1.

This time, it was the Terps goalie Yewande Balogun who aided Maryland to victory, recording five saves in the game as the Canes put up a solid effort on the road.

With the loss and a commanding 4-0 Virginia Tech victory over North Carolina State, the Hurricanes finished the season ranked ninth in the conference and miss out on the ACC Tournament.

Disqualification from the ACC Tournament does not eliminate the Hurricanes from contention in the NCAA Tournament, considering the tough schedule of the conference, which includes three teams ranked in the top 10 (UNC, BC, UVA).

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...