Homecoming weekend kicks off

Homecoming opening ceremonies, “Let the Games Begin,” took place Friday at the UC I-Lounge.

Originally scheduled to take place on the UC Rock, the weather did not permit the event to go as planned.

“I am not sure why the I-Lounge specifically was chosen for the rain location. I would assume it is because it is a type of common ground for student organizations,” Co-chair for Homecoming publicity Christine Ira said. “A lot of student orgs hold their offices by the I-Lounge so it was only appropriate that we would hold an event there that brings all these orgs together.”

Opening ceremonies are a way for students to get in the spirit for the events that will take during Homecoming week. This year, they served several purposes.

At first, there was a roll call of the participating organizations, and the Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) was introduced to the audience. The cheerleaders and Sebastian then fueled the audience’s spirit by a pep rally performance, and later Omicron Delta Kappa followed by a “ringing in” performance. Finally, the two organizations dubbed “HEC’s Choice” were revealed, an announcement which decided the two  groups which participated in Alma Mater Pre-Liminaries last Wednesday evening that will move on to perform at finals Thursday afternoon for entertainment.

The I-Lounge, although not filled to the brim with students, roared with spirit as the different organizations held posters and chanted their own songs of spirit while those events took place.

“Although the rain forced the opening ceremonies into the I-Lounge, no matter where they are held, the same spirit and vibrant emotion is felt every time,” junior Claudia “Fefi” Cruz, vice president internal of La Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), said. “It’s a truly incredible feeling to be a Cane, more so during Homecoming.”

This year’s theme, “Are U Game,” is being tied into numerous events being held throughout Homecoming week, which kicked off Friday and will last until Saturday.

“I am most excited for O-cheer because I am interested in seeing the various skits, dances, etc. that each organization is going to present in their interpretation of this year’s theme,” freshman Natalia San Juan said.

Throughout the week, there will be different events to celebrate Homecoming.

“I think opening ceremonies serves as a catalyst for school Homecoming spirit. This event serves as the launch for Homecoming weekend so it gets everyone pumped up and ready for the week,” Ira said. “If you attended this event, you could feel the intense energy throughout the room, and everyone was getting psyched for this upcoming week.”

Stephanie Parra may be contacted at sparra@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...