YouNiversity of Miami: Guitar guys

It’s not uncommon to walk by the intramural fields or through the University Center and hear a little music. There are kids with boom boxes, the radio station broadcasting solid music all day, everyday, and Patio Jams every Thursday. There are many types of music constantly playing around campus, and it is hard to find a silent place outdoors. However, the one music source that merits discussion, and type of student that makes the University of Miami their home, is the ‘guitar guy.’

Guitar guys come in many varieties. There’s the constantly stoned hippie, the raging angry ‘emo,’ the Abercrombie wearing ‘ladies-I-play-acoustic-guitar’ guy, but the classic and by far the most superior, is the music lover. They don’t play because of crazy levels of THC in their bloodstream, nor to pick up the freshmen girls who swoon when they hear an acoustic version of ‘Slide’ by the Goo Goo Dolls. They play, simply, to play.

Not even five doors down from my dorm in Pearson, I have a good friend, Jonny. One day, when a group of buddies on my floor was relaxing and trying to think of things to do that night, Jonny left and returned instantly with an acoustic guitar. For a moment, I was concerned that my new bud was one of the bad breeds of guitar guy. I thought to myself that if he started to sing “could you whisper in my ear, the things you wanna feel…” I was going to make a break for the door. But to my (pleasant) surprise, he was a pure-blooded, grade-A musician! They are a rarity these days, but good music is always welcome and his was original, stylish and amazing to listen to. Don’t believe me? Check out www.myspace.com/thehightones. And ladies, prepare to fall in love.

There’s a lot of hype surrounding guitar guys. Is it true that it’s pretty much an instant and sure-fire way to pick up chicks? Do all guitar guys basically sound the same? Do you need to brush your hair off to the side as you play, and then stare off into the distance looking pensive?

Well, I can try to answer at least those first two questions. One, it is by no means a guarantee that if you play guitar, you will pick up the ladies. However, the consensus from the girls that I asked is that it is a huge turn-on if you can play well. Two, no, not all guitar guys sound the same. They vary a lot based on their roots and their influences. All in all, they tend to lean toward very mellow and relaxing music.

Guitar guys add a very distinct element to UM and make it a special place to call home. So next time you pass a guy stretched out by the Hecht-Stanford bridge, tuning up his guitar, sit down and listen. Who knows, maybe this particular guitar guy will strike a chord with you.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...