Tri-Delta Golf Tournament

The survival rate for children with cancer has greatly improved over the years and one campus organization is helping to fund treatment and more research.

Delta Delta Delta, also known as Tri Delta, held their sixth annual Tees For Tots golf tournament on Sunday raising over $30,000 for their philanthropy St. Jude Children‘s Research Hospital located in Memphis, Tennessee.

“I can’t explain how thankful we are for the generous donations we received,” said Anna Lewis, Tri Delta’s philanthropy chair who organized the event.  “It went better than I could have ever expected.”

The event had over 20 sponsors and about 100 people came out to Miami Shores Country Club to play golf for a cure.  When they finished, they were brought inside for an eloquent brunch buffet.

They were given a presentation on St. Jude, which included heart-warming facts about the hospital and a video showing some of the patients and their stories.

They talked about how some of the patients who have limited contact to people are give Wii gaming systems and instead of using wheel chairs, the kids are moved between rooms with little red wagons.

St. Jude also covers all costs of treating patients that aren’t covered by insurance including any medical bills, travel expenses and rooming families so they are able to stay with their children.

Alexandra Golovac, Tri Delta’s president and last year’s philanthropy chair, said she was very pleased with how well the tournament went.

She visited the St. Jude hospital last year and talked about how close the cause was to her.

“It was an incredible experience,” she said.  “It’s so bright and happy even though what they’re going through isn’t so bright and happy.”

She said her most memorable moment was when one of the patients, Ellen who’s about five years old, sang her the Star Spangled Banner.

As an added fundraising effort, the 160 brunch attendees were encouraged to buy raffle tickets or to make bids on silent auction items, which included a trip to Cancun, Mexico, airplane tickets, and autographed pictures of actors, singers and athletes.

The consensus was the fundraiser was a success, but the sorority said they hope to make it even better next year.

“Next year let’s make it bigger and better,” Golovac said. “The more [money]we raise the more lives we can save.”

Lindsay Oliver may be contacted at loliver@themiamihurricane.com.

Lindsay Oliver

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...