Tri-Delta Golf Tournament

The survival rate for children with cancer has greatly improved over the years and one campus organization is helping to fund treatment and more research.

Delta Delta Delta, also known as Tri Delta, held their sixth annual Tees For Tots golf tournament on Sunday raising over $30,000 for their philanthropy St. Jude Children‘s Research Hospital located in Memphis, Tennessee.

“I can’t explain how thankful we are for the generous donations we received,” said Anna Lewis, Tri Delta’s philanthropy chair who organized the event.  “It went better than I could have ever expected.”

The event had over 20 sponsors and about 100 people came out to Miami Shores Country Club to play golf for a cure.  When they finished, they were brought inside for an eloquent brunch buffet.

They were given a presentation on St. Jude, which included heart-warming facts about the hospital and a video showing some of the patients and their stories.

They talked about how some of the patients who have limited contact to people are give Wii gaming systems and instead of using wheel chairs, the kids are moved between rooms with little red wagons.

St. Jude also covers all costs of treating patients that aren’t covered by insurance including any medical bills, travel expenses and rooming families so they are able to stay with their children.

Alexandra Golovac, Tri Delta’s president and last year’s philanthropy chair, said she was very pleased with how well the tournament went.

She visited the St. Jude hospital last year and talked about how close the cause was to her.

“It was an incredible experience,” she said.  “It’s so bright and happy even though what they’re going through isn’t so bright and happy.”

She said her most memorable moment was when one of the patients, Ellen who’s about five years old, sang her the Star Spangled Banner.

As an added fundraising effort, the 160 brunch attendees were encouraged to buy raffle tickets or to make bids on silent auction items, which included a trip to Cancun, Mexico, airplane tickets, and autographed pictures of actors, singers and athletes.

The consensus was the fundraiser was a success, but the sorority said they hope to make it even better next year.

“Next year let’s make it bigger and better,” Golovac said. “The more [money]we raise the more lives we can save.”

Lindsay Oliver may be contacted at loliver@themiamihurricane.com.

Lindsay Oliver

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...