Islamophobia takes flight on “O’Reilly Factor”

O’Reilly is “done” being careful. That is what he told viewers during his infamous discussion with Juan Williams. NPR shortly fired Williams for pitching his new movie idea, “Muslims on a Plane,” on the O’Reilly Factor. Williams recounted how he fears Muslims who choose to make their religious beliefs evident in the manner they dress. Please, Muslims, for the sake of Mr. Williams, wear some Abercrombie to set his nerves at ease.

According to O’Reilly, he has cautiously toed the line between propriety and unleashing torrents of bigoted invective. The fact that we “ain’t seen nothing yet” is what really frightens me. The battle lines are drawn. Fox News has not only offered verbal support to O’Reilly and  Williams, but they immediately rewarded Williams with a $2 million contract. Boisterous “tea-baggers” like Sarah Palin and Republicans like Newt Gingrich, Jim DeMint and Mike Huckabee, have made it clear in the past few days that “Muslims on a Plane” would be a project they’d produce.

Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin decried political correctness as being “the handmaiden of terror.” Holy crap. You know someone has gone round the bend when they associate political correctness with terrorism. Blowing up a hall of government is as politically incorrect as you can get. Malkin argues that displaying decorum, tolerance and rationality will only embolden our enemies. Well golly, I never would have thought that Islamic extremists would rally around any of those concepts.

The lines are drawn. It is time to pick a side.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...