Digital textbooks are not so popular

In this digital age, we are constantly texting, typing away on our computers and e-mailing through our phones. Technology has taken over our lives and we are attached to it.

For a generation that is the most technology adept in history, one would assume that we would enjoy the idea of having our books on a Kindle, Nook, iPad or other device.

According to the recent study by the Student Public Interest Research Groups,  however, three-quarters of the students surveyed said they still prefer a traditional print book to an e-book. Additionally, The National Association of College said that digital books currently make up about three percent of textbook sales.

So, why is it that we won’t let go of the good old fashioned heavy textbooks? After all, textbooks are expensive- a semester’s worth of textbooks can cost up to $900. Nevertheless, we continue to buy and rent used and new textbooks from Internet book retailers such as Amazon, Textbooks.com and Chegg.com. Digital reading did not stop our very own University of Miami Bookstore from launching a book rental program this year.

Perhaps we are not ready for digital reading because we have grown up using print books. We are not ready to give up the benefit of highlighting passages, flipping pages and writing little notes in the book itself.

Although new technology gives students the ability to use e-textbooks this way, there are still plenty of drawbacks in using it.

Not only does the computer screen exhaust our eyes, but it can distract us from doing our work. We are tempted to check our e-mail, log on to Facebook and surf the Web. In general, we spend enough time on our laptops and cell phones. So why not get away from this unhealthy technology addiction by reading an actual bound book?

More importantly, what if a virus gets into your computer? What if the screen goes blank and all your notes are deleted? The battery could die, the server could go out and carrying that bulky equipment could become absolutely obnoxious.

Even if more books are made available as e-books, it will not be the same as reading, studying and learning from an actual print book. With a paperback book, it is easy. You can carry it with you and read wherever, whenever.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...