Football

Canes face Virginia on Saturday

Running Back Anthony Elzy, on the University of North Carolina Tar Heels team, fumbles the ball at the goal line. Seconds later Defensive Back Vaugn Telemaque recovered the ball, sparking the University of Miami team and kept the game within one score. The Canes went on to win 33-10. Adrianne D'Angelo//Asst Photo Editor

The attitude and savvy mentality was there against North Carolina. The Hurricanes played with passion and confidence on all three phases as they scored 30 straight points against the Tar Heels.

Now, the No. 22 Miami Hurricanes must be better than a one-hit wonder as they travel to face the Virginia Cavaliers, Saturday at noon on ESPN.

Head coach Randy Shannon knows the Cavaliers will not lie down to the Canes.

“Another ACC opponent, a good football team,” Shannon said. “They play tough defense, coach [Mike] London is doing a great job of those guys playing hard the whole football game.”

Last year, Miami scheduled Virginia for homecoming, still feeling the effects when the Cavaliers blow out and blanked the Hurricanes in the final Orange Bowl game, 48-0. The Canes thrashed the Cavaliers, 52-17 as senior running back Graig Cooper set a career high with 152 rushing yards.

The last time Miami played in Virginia, Shannon called that game “unbelievable” as the Canes fought back for the win. It was the start of junior quarterback Jacory Harris fourth quarter heroics at Miami.

Then a true freshman quarterback, Harris, led a 95-yard, 15 play tying drive and eventually a win in overtime, 24-17.

In order to get another win in Virginia, the Canes must play with the same amount of energy and enthusiasm as they did against North Carolina.

Players said the excitement came from having fun in practice.

“The energy [started]in practice,” Hill said. “It’s something coming off the Duke game. It’s something we put a focus on, energy and attitude. It started in practice and carried over to the game. From here on out we know it’s a make or break for us every game we play.”

The Hurricanes do not plan on stopping their high intensity and excitement. They have created a new chant ‘up and down, round and round,’ lead by junior linebacker Sean Spence.

“Us as Miami football players having high energy, it propels us to play better,” said Hill who has three interceptions this season. “If it takes us having the rest of our games, I’m sure you guys will see a sequel to that [this weekend].”

Redshirt sophomore safety Vaughn Telemaque has emerged as one of the most vocal leaders on the defense and even on the team. Telemaque has five takeaways this season, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries.

Players have taken notice of how hype Telemaque is.

“When he makes plays he opens his arms like a bird and flies across the field,” said sophomore guard Brandon Washington. “You can feed off his positive energy. He is real vocal.”

One way Telemaque gets his teammates involved, he singles out every player giving each of them encouragement and motivation.

“Let’s go Orlando. Let’s go B Wash. Let’s go Fig,” said Washington.

Telemaque plans on continuing to be a turnover machine and maintaining his high energy.

“I’m finally getting back to the things I like to do,” said Telemaque, who recorded his first collegiate interception against Florida State. “I love to get interceptions. I love big hits and I love celebrating with my teammates.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...