Technology trouble, gadget griefs

Purchase notice: Congratulations on your purchase of a new personal digital Tchotchke. We know it will provide you with many years of happy, carefree Web surfing, reading, game playing, music consumption and just plain fun! To get started, just plug the included power cord into slot A (see diagram), wait two hours, push the power button, navigate through the set-up screens to set up an account on our Web site, register your new product and then commence enjoyment!

Warranty notice one: Recent complaints have made us aware that some Tchotchke boxes were empty when shipped. If you believe your shipment may have been among those affected, please check the box again carefully and, if no Tchotchke is found, mail the box back to us. We’ll be happy to send you a replacement.

Notice two: It has come to our attention that some consumer elements believe their Tchotchkes are susceptible to spam infiltration under what are described as normal operating conditions. None of our researchers can duplicate the conditions under which that sort of material can find its way onto the Tchotchke unrequested, so if a user finds himself with unwanted smut, we suggest he reconsider the definition of “unwanted.”

Notice three: Though we are flattered by the belief held by some users that the Tchotchke can run more than one application at once, we must regretfully say that it, like you, was designed to do only one thing at a time. That information is contained in sub-appendix Q of Instruction Manual Three, and we must request that before you pick up the phone and complain to us after you read the instruction manuals and their appendices thoroughly first.

Press release: The slogan for the Tchotchke is “It does it all” not “It does it all at once.” While some consumers may have misinterpreted the meaning of the slogan, the fault for that misinterpretation lies with them. If consumers find the Tchotchke difficult to use and/or if it ceases to function properly while in their hands, it is and can only be their fault.

Andrew Hamner is a senior majoring in political science. He may be contacted at ahamner@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Hamner

Opinion Columnist

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...