Ladies Night cast knows laughter is best medicine

Courtesy Carlos Rivera

What do you get when you put seven women on stage with a microphone? No, not a drunken karaoke night with friends.Try a night full of laughs for a great cause, presented by Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre. A special show, “Ladies Night: Comedy for a Cure,” will be performed by an all-female cast of talented comedians, in support of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Floridian comedy group will be doing improvisational skits with a “Whose Line is it Anyway” or “Wild-n-Out” feel. You never know what is going to be said or done on stage, and don’t be surprised if you get pulled on stage to participate in one of the skits.

Half of the ticket proceeds will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, the Komen charity works to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. In addition, it has collected the largest source of non-profit funds over the years.

“As personal as this disease is, I think it is a perfect strategy to attack the cancer with humor. This event seems to take a positive look at the strength of women beating the cancer which should always be kept in mind,” junior Genevieve Stack said.

Stack is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, a UM sorority that specifically supports breast cancer education and awareness through various philanthropic events.

“It is great that there are so many events in October that raise awareness and money, especially when these events reach out to different people,” she said.

So what can you expect to get from this show?

“We are donating live entertainment,” said managing director of Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre, Carlos Rivera. “It will be very interactive. All the ideas will come to life on stage.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com

IF YOU GO:

When: Friday, Oct. 29 at 9 p.m.

Where: Just the Funny theatre, 3119 SW 22 St. Miami, FL 33145 (3 minutes east of Miracle Mile).

Cost: $10 per person. Tickets can be purchased online at www.justthefunny.com or at the theatre.

NOTE: The Just the Funny theatre holds different shows the first weekend of every month. For more information, call 305-693-8669.

Olivia Woolbright

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...