Ladies Night cast knows laughter is best medicine

Courtesy Carlos Rivera

What do you get when you put seven women on stage with a microphone? No, not a drunken karaoke night with friends.Try a night full of laughs for a great cause, presented by Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre. A special show, “Ladies Night: Comedy for a Cure,” will be performed by an all-female cast of talented comedians, in support of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Floridian comedy group will be doing improvisational skits with a “Whose Line is it Anyway” or “Wild-n-Out” feel. You never know what is going to be said or done on stage, and don’t be surprised if you get pulled on stage to participate in one of the skits.

Half of the ticket proceeds will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, the Komen charity works to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. In addition, it has collected the largest source of non-profit funds over the years.

“As personal as this disease is, I think it is a perfect strategy to attack the cancer with humor. This event seems to take a positive look at the strength of women beating the cancer which should always be kept in mind,” junior Genevieve Stack said.

Stack is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, a UM sorority that specifically supports breast cancer education and awareness through various philanthropic events.

“It is great that there are so many events in October that raise awareness and money, especially when these events reach out to different people,” she said.

So what can you expect to get from this show?

“We are donating live entertainment,” said managing director of Just the Funny Improv Comedy Theatre, Carlos Rivera. “It will be very interactive. All the ideas will come to life on stage.”

Olivia Woolbright may be contacted at owoolbright@themiamihurricane.com

IF YOU GO:

When: Friday, Oct. 29 at 9 p.m.

Where: Just the Funny theatre, 3119 SW 22 St. Miami, FL 33145 (3 minutes east of Miracle Mile).

Cost: $10 per person. Tickets can be purchased online at www.justthefunny.com or at the theatre.

NOTE: The Just the Funny theatre holds different shows the first weekend of every month. For more information, call 305-693-8669.

Olivia Woolbright

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...