Haunting options for All Hallows’ Eve

Get a real scare this Halloween and forgo your usual haunt of Halloween parties (oh the horror!). Check out these local All Hallows’ Eve options for a spooky good time.

Fright Nights – South Florida Fair Grounds

Located at the South Florida Fair Grounds in West Palm, this is a classic haunted house event. Choose from three different haunted houses, or get your fill and go into all three. For your friends who can’t stomach the scares there are carnival rides to enjoy and even a new exhibit called the creature. As Woody Graber, who works for Fright Nights says, “Its not just a haunted house, but a whole evening of entertainment.”  Fright Nights is the largest haunted attraction in South Florida and over five years old. It is slightly out of the way, but not as bad as trip to Orlando to get your fill of Halloween horror.

Buried Alive – Key Biscayne by the Seaquarium

So you saw the Ryan Reynolds movie. Sure you got a little claustrophobic, but it wasn’t all that bad, a little popcorn, 95 minutes of Ryan Reynolds beautiful face and the satisfaction of realizing it is not you buried in the coffin. But how about trying it out for yourself? Guaranteed to scare the bravest out there, get trapped underground at Key Biscayne’s Buried Alive haunted park. If you make it through to the end there are unlimited carnival rides, an amateur DJ competition, food and beer. A few of those will probably be necessary to help bring down your heart rate after the horror that is sure to ensue.

House of Horror Amusement Park – Miami International Mall

Miami’s House of Horror is located in the Miami International Mall making it a very large venue. There are over 25 haunted scenes. The park is complete with carnival rides and musical acts. And there are even kid events if you are stuck babysitting or taking along your younger cousins. This is the best option for the family to go to together. It is affordable and safe for all ages, but it is still guaranteed to put you in the Halloween spirit.

Halloween Spookover – Deering Estate at Cutler

Done the haunted house thing a bunch of times before? Well, then it is time to try something different. Deering Estate at Cutler, which is over 100 years old, offers a unique Halloween experience that is different than anything you have done before. The property is considered haunted and on Oct. 29 the Estate allows guests to sleep over and test their courage. The event includes night hike on the trails, ghost stories and performances, and a paranormal investigation of the grounds. Are you brave enough to make it through the night?

Circo de los Horrores – James L. Knight Center

Have a flare for the dramatic? This Cirque-du-Sole type show mixes the circus, theater and horror. There are acrobats, dancers, contortionists and many death-defying stunts. This show is imported from Spain and is making its American debut here in Miami. Senior Erin Gameson says, “I used to love haunted houses, but after a particularly scarring event I am over them, but I still like Halloween.” For people who share these sentiments this is a great option. It does not require active participation, but it gets you into the Halloween spirit. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.com.

Information Box

Fright Nights:

Where: South Florida Fair Grounds

Dates: Thur.- Sat. through Oct. 30 and Sun. Oct. 31

Hours: Thur., 6-11 p.m.; Fri. – Sat. 6 p.m.-midnight; Sun., 6-11 p.m.

Haunted houses open at 7 p.m.

Cost: $25 for a Total Terror ticket, which includes admission to all three

haunted houses and rides.

$15 for a Walk-Around ticket, which only includes admission for the

three haunted houses. The rides are not included.

Note: Games, Food, and admission to the inflatable Creature exhibit are

not included in any of the ticket prices.

Buried Alive:

Where: Key Biscayne by the Seaquarium

Dates: Thur. Oct. 28 – Sun. Oct. 31

Hours: 7-11 p.m.

Cost: $13

House of Horror Amusement Park

Where: Miami International Mall

Dates:            Through Oct. 31

Hours: Mon.-Fri., 6 p.m.-midnight; Sat.-Sun., 5 p.m.-midnight

Cost: $22 for adults, $15 for children (9 and under)

Halloween Spookover

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler.

Dates:            Fri., Oct. 29

Hours: 8:00pm-6am

Cost: $100

Circo de los Horrores

Where: James L. Knight Center

Dates: Through Oct. 31

Hours: Tue.-Fri., show starts at 8pm

Sat. two shows starting at 4pm and 8pm

Sun. two shows starting at 3pm and 7pm

Cost: $24-$88

Abigail Garner