Canes in the Community

The University of Miami launched a community service oriented website this June, as school officials pledged an even greater commitment to the surrounding area.

The site serves as an online resource and organizes the university’s community outreach programs into 12 major categories of interest, ranging from “Children & Families” to “Health & Wellbeing,” and “Environmental & Green Initiatives.”

Annette Herrera, a spokesperson of the university said that many of the schools and colleges previously had their own websites that featured community outreach programs.

“Up until the launching of ‘Canes in the Community this past June there just wasn’t one central place where the greater community could easily learn about many of our outreach programs in a variety of areas,” said Herrera.

The initiative is being spearheaded by University Communications working in conjunction with the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of Government and Community Relations.

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely called out to UM students to take action during the opening ceremonies of Gandhi Day earlier this month. Gandhi Day is the largest day for community service on the UM campus, facilitated by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership. This year more than 750 students came out to the service day.

“Miami is a city that needs a lot of help and there are a lot of people that could use your assistance,” Whitely said.

The ‘Canes in the Community initiative goes by a familiar name. The title comes from the existing outreach program of the same name sponsored by University Athletics.

Herrera said that they asked Athletics Director Kirby Hocutt if the new initiative could borrow the name and he was very happy to share.

“It’s such a perfect name for the ‘bigger picture,’’ said Herrera.

The website currently features a handful of community initiatives sponsored by the athletics department, such as the “Nike Future Canes” program and nearly 200 other programs facilitated by various divisions of the UM community.

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership has a large presence on the site, as it one of the primary hubs of community involvement for undergraduate students.

The director of the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Keith “Fletch” Fletcher, said that the launching of the ‘Canes in the Community site is an acknowledgment by the higher-ups in the university that the campus’ involvement in the community isn’t just seen as an ‘add-on’, but as an institutional responsibility.

Since the website kicked off, the surrounding community has definitely seen even greater community involvement.

“The UM campus has continuously been a great help in keeping our shores clean,” said Art Levy of Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park on Key Biscayne. “The campus always counts us on its big service days and we really appreciate it.”

For more information on the programs already in place or to learn about how to get involved visit the website www.miami.edu/canesinthecommunity.

Julian Glover may be contacted at jglover@themiamihurricane.com.

Julian Glover

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...