Sufjan’s age of autotune

Courtesy Marzuki Stevens

“The Age of Adz” is pop-folk-indie sensation Sufjan Stevens’ first proper LP since “Illinoise.” His other recent release, the “All Delighted People” EP, is a freewheeling masterpiece. Does this new album match up to the EP, or possibly even “Illinoise,” the best-reviewed album of 2005?

Yes and no. “The Age of Adz” is refreshing, bizarre, outstanding and disappointing all at once. It offers a bit of what you expect from Stevens: His clear, delicate voice and a youthful chorus soaring over a symphony of brass, pianos and woodwinds. But it also integrates a heavy dose of electronic instrumentation. A lesser artist would sound silly even attempting to mix folk and electronic music, but this album largely succeeds.

“Vesuvius” and the title track are gorgeous, intricate sing-alongs with electronic samples that blend seamlessly with the more traditional instruments. The crescendos and sing-along choruses are reminiscent of other Stevens anthems like “Jacksonville” and “Chicago.”

Another highlight, “I Walked,” sounds like a Postal Service song, complete with tender declarations of love and a steady, melancholy beat.  Lesser tracks include “Futile Devices,” a quiet, stripped down piece that is affecting but that never gets off the ground, and “Too Much,” a catchy but predictable song despite its ever-building beat.

The album closes with the 26-minute long “Impossible Soul.” Its epic scope holds interest through its many movements that vary from electric guitar jamming to gang choruses over poppy electronic samples. Unfortunately, he uses Autotune at multiple points, giving the song an unbecoming techno feel; it also makes little sense considering Stevens’s natural vocal talent.

The lyrics are often existential, a fairly new trend. He laments that he has “lost the will to fight” on the title track and he swears on “I Want to Be Well.” He still injects Christian themes throughout, but they tend to sound out of place. Lyrics like “you know you want to get real, get right, with the lord” sung over a dance beat sound like a terribly un-hip attempt to make Christianity seem hip.

“The Age of Adz” has little mainstream appeal and is probably not as good as “Seven Swans” or “Illinoise,” but it is nevertheless a great, innovative addition to an already impressive discography.

William McAuliffe may be contacted at wmcauliffe@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3.5/4 stars

Label: Asthmatic Kitty
Released: Oct. 12

William McAuliffe

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...