Hurricane bookshelf: November picks

It’s that time of year again – when the weather outside isn’t debilitating and you’d rather do something – anything – than study for your midterms. Never fear, because Hurricane Bookshelf is here with all of your picks for a fabulously well-read break.

“Mockingjay” (Suzanne Collins; Scholastic) is the final entry in the author’s “Hunger Games” trilogy. Set in the post-apocalyptic state of Panem, “Mockingjay” concludes the saga of Katniss, a competitor in the state’s “Hunger Games” in which children are forced to fight to the death. One should start with the series’ first novel, the appropriately named “The Hunger Games,” but “Mockingjay,” released Aug. 24, is an engrossing and worthy conclusion to the series, which is being turned into feature films.

“Life” (Keith Richards; Little, Brown and Company) is the aptly titled memoir of one of rock music’s most infamous bad boys, Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Sure to touch on the highs and lows of one of the 20th century’s most enduring bands and the personal victories and vices of its most notorious member, “Life” is for anyone who loves to live vicariously through others.

“The Fateful Alliance” (Hermann Beck; Berghahn) is for anyone with an inner history nerd. Discussing one of the least-known aspects of the Nazi Party’s rise to power, Beck touches on Hitler’s coalition with the German conservative party – a truly fateful alliance that changed the world forever. Released in paperback Dec. 1, the book is eminently readable despite being for a more specialized audience. You can even get the book autographed by the author himself; he is interim chair of UM’s history department.

“Android Karenina” (Leo Tolstoy and Ben H. Winters; Quirk) follows in the great tradition set forth by such works of literary luminescence as “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” and “Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters”: it takes vaguely insufferable classics and updates them with supernatural elements. Released June 8, “Android Karenina” takes Tolstoy’s heroine and turns her into a robot.  It’s a lot more fun than the original novel, but please don’t tell the English department I’m recommending it.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...