How to ‘GTL’ in the ‘MIA’

Paul DelVecchio (aka Pauly D) enjoys a day at the beach while filming season two in South Beach. Courtesy Ralph Notaro.

Looking to get away from the normal everyday South Beach vacation? Then heat up your tanning bed, start poofing your hair and hit South Beach “Jersey Shore” style.

The cast of “Jersey Shore” took Miami Beach for season two of the popular reality show on MTV and was filmed in early 2010. The taping features many Miami Beach restaurants and entertainment venues. Now that the finale has aired and the second season is complete, it is the perfect time to spend a weekend on the shore- the Miami shore that is.

Kick off your “Jersey Shore” weekend by staying in the same hotel the cast did while filming. The Metropole Hotel South Beach is right in the middle of the action on Collins Avenue. The hotel offers one and two-bedroom suites and boasts a residential feel with their private courtyard. Just be aware that the hotel is run with a long-stay focus and during peak seasons, there could be minimum stay requirements.

Once you arrive at the Metropole Hotel South Beach the first order of business is to tan, otherwise known as the “T” in the popular phrase GTL (“gym, tan, laundry”). The weather is great in Miami, even at this time of year with an average high of around 85 degrees. South Beach is a great beach to enjoy; there are white sands and plenty of action for people watching.

After you are done lounging on the beach, be sure to visit The Big Pink restaurant. Located within walking distance from the beach on Collins Avenue, The Big Pink was featured on the show when some of the female castmates went to the restaurant to scheme. The girls dined on huge portions of great food and you will too. The price is also great. Eating out on South Beach can be expensive but you can get out of there for under $20 if you’re careful. Try the TV dinner special, it’s a meal that comes in a stainless steel six compartment tray for $14.95 and the selection changes daily.

Once you’re stuffed from lunch, take an afternoon nap by the hotel’s courtyard and then go out for an afternoon treat. The Lecca Lecca Gelato Caffé is a must-see for the “Jersey Shore” fan. This gelato shop is where the cast worked and the black logo with the brightly colored circles in a cone is a recognizable symbol for any fan. Many “Jersey Shore” viewers remember the café most as the location of Pauly D’s rant about his hair.

“My boss seems to think that my hair is gonna fall off and go into the ice cream,” cast member Pauly D said in episode two. “This hair ain’t movin’ my dude. 150 m.p.h on the highway on a street bike… it doesn’t move! What makes you think it’s gonna move in a gelato shop?”

After Pauly D’s rant the shop was a constant on this season of “Jersey Shore.” Order a cup of Gelato and you can even buy the signature t-shirt, so you can wear what the cast mates wore during their shifts scooping gelato.

Late at night is when the show, and South Beach, really comes alive. South Beach is known for its great nightclubs and the cast frequented almost all of them, although two stood out on the season.

The cast talks about the nightclub B.E.D. frequently on the show, which stands for Entertaining.Dining. Dance the night away with the show’s signature fist pump move or lounge in one of the club’s signature beds while sipping cocktails. B.E.D. has also been named one of the 100 Best Night Clubs and Bars by Absolut Vodka and Technomic Inc., coming in at No. 79, so you know you will have a great time at this entertainment venue.

The cast can also be found at Klutch during the course of the season. Klutch is an open air club and guests can reserve tables with a small cocktail minimum, instead of a huge bottle minimum. Here, servers will make cocktails tableside, including mojitos and other Miami staples.

The “Jersey Shore” cast may have left Miami, but that doesn’t mean that you have to stop fist pumping. From Ronnie’s three-way kiss at Klutch to the everyday work antics at Lecca Lecca Gelato Caffe, South Beach is full of memories for fans. Visiting South Beach “Jersey Shore” style will guarantee you to have a great day-vacation for visitors and locals alike.

Nancy Oben may be contaced at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

If You Go:

Metropole Hotel
635 Collins Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Tel 305-672-0009
Fax 305-672-0700

Lecca Lecca Gelato Caffé
1051 Collins Avenue
Miami Beach, FL
Tel 305-534-7002
Open 7 days a week

The Big Pink
157 Collins Avenue
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
Tel 305-532-4700
Hours of Operation: opens at 8 a.m. closes 12 a.m. Sun-Wed, 2 a.m. Thu, 5 a.m. Fri-Sat
Free Delivery 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (1a.m. Fri & Sat)

929 Washington Ave. Miami Beach, FL 33139
Tel 305-532-9070
Email: info@bedmiami.com

136 Collins Avenue
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Tel 305-531-4643
Fax 305-531-4645
Email: info@klutchmiami.com
www. klutchmiami.com

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...