“Buried,” a success against all odds

Courtesy Lion's Gate

If you could apply the word “tense” to just one movie this year, I think you would be hard pressed to find one more cringe-worthy, than “Buried.”

Ryan Reynolds stars as Paul Conroy, an American contractor working in Iraq. After his convoy is attacked, he wakes up in a wooden coffin with just a cell phone and a lighter. But surprisingly, these two elements are enough to craft a whole movie around…and a damn good one at that.

The film opens with a pitch-black screen. For a good 10 seconds you hear no noise at all. But then you start to hear breathing, which escalates to a muffled panic, to straight up screaming and thrashing. Brilliantly, you are made to feel exactly how Reynolds feels: If he can’t see, you can’t see.

It is not until he finds the lighter that you are visually brought into his situation. And after only 10 minutes in, I found myself stretching my legs, just to remind myself that I could. My friend turned over to me and said, “I feel like I can’t breathe.” Getting jittery yet?

Yes, the entire movie takes place in the coffin. No, there are no flashbacks. No, there are no cutaways. If the filmmakers wanted to, they easily could have incorporated that. But director Rodrigo Cortes and screenwriter Chris Sparling had a film experiment in mind, one that they successfully pull off against all odds.

I don’t care if this isn’t the type of movie that the Academy recognizes…Reynolds deserves a Best Actor nomination this year. He manages to carry the entire movie by himself, while never overacting in a situation where it would have been extremely easy to do so.

Admittedly there were times when the film started to feel repetitive and I got the smallest bit annoyed…but I forgave it this, because, well…who wouldn’t be screaming and banging senselessly against the box if they found themselves buried underground?

Rating: 3/4 stars

Directed by: Rodrigo Cortes

Starring: Ryan Reynolds

MPAA Rating: R

Lauren Cohen

Contributing Edge Writer

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...