Breaking down Greek brotherhood

I see the perks in joining a frat: partying, stumbling across some good people and meeting more women. But I don’t see the value in pretending to be friendly with “brothers” I’m not particularly fond of, just because they’re under the same roof and sign semester checks to the same recipient. Also, chill out on the brotherhood.

You aren’t Morgan Freeman in “Wanted” talking about a fraternity of assassins or anything of comparable coolness- it’s a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking about boobies all day, which I can’t fault people for, but I’d rather do that for free. Also, the word brother needs to be addressed. I rarely call my biological brother “bro,” so I can’t see how people can toss around the word around so lightly with some people who are merely acquaintances and would gladly stab you in the back.

And as for identifying with a fraternity, why is it every time I meet someone in a Greek-related party, that’s the first question they ask? Is it really that interesting if I rushed for frat X and became one of them? If you must know, I’m a GDI opening up a local chapter for Sigma Mu Delta (if you catch my drift) so don’t pigeonhole me as a gentleman or a meathead- I am neither.

Most of all, I don’t understand how people live with each other in mass for so long. The maximum capacity of people that I’m willing to live with (for members of the same sex) caps at about three or four, and even then that’s sometimes too much. I like to keep ultimate debauchery out of my place of residence for the most part to eliminate the necessity of next day’s hung-over cleanup. I also don’t get much gratification from being around the smell of BO and day-old booze. I’m not blind to the benefits, though: networking seems huge, and keeping busy is a good way to prevent going stir crazy.

I can’t help but raise an eye, however, because when I was going through the process of rush, the recruiter told me that someone in the room is definitively going to be the best man at my wedding one day. You don’t decide who becomes one of my cronies, only I do. And who said I’m getting married?

Evan Seaman is a senior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

15 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Breaking down Greek brotherhood”

1. Brochacho says:

Haterade,

Takes one to know one.

2. Haterade says:

Little Bro Peep,

I think there’s enough ignorance in this article already, grow up a little bit.

3. Dan Quayle says:

Barack Obama is the worst president in U.S. history.

4. Ha and is name is “Seaman”.

5. Ryan Kronberger says:

Maybe this guy should try to join a sorority…

6. Ethan J. Alpern says:

​I am not sure how many of you have read “Breaking down Greek brotherhood,” a new article in the most recent issue of the Miami Hurricane, but I would like to discuss some of the misinterpretations of Greek Life discussed in the aforementioned article.
    ​To begin I would like to say that when I came to Miami as a freshman, I too was under the impression that Greek life was nothing more than what was portrayed in films such as “Animal House” and “Old School”, however, I did not come into college with a closed mind, and gave Greek life a chance. Becoming a part of Greek life was easily the best decision I have ever made in college, not because it gave me an opportunity to hang with “a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking about boobies all day,” but because of all the doors opened up for me since my induction.
    ​If it had not been for Greek life, I would have never been able to adjust as a freshman from Los Angeles, CA, because I did not know anybody, but Phi Delta Theta took me in, they welcomed me not only as their friend, but their brother. In no way did I feel that any of them were “pretending to be friendly with ‘brothers’,” but just the opposite, they were sincere. So before I hear people saying that the term “brother” is thrown around loosely, I would like to divulge a bit of information as to what goes into “brotherhood.”
    ​I too have a young brother, one who I actually am comfortable enough to call “bro” because I love him, and I love my brothers in Phi Delta Theta as well. I would never call any friend my brother, but I would give that title to someone who went through an entire semester of team-building exercises, adjusting to staying far distances from home, and learning an entirely new lifestyle. This bond is sacred and not something that anyone who has not gone through the process could ever understand. And as someone who does not understand certain theories of medicine or anything else that may be discussed in chapter meetings of Sigma Mu Delta, I am not going to publish articles on those subjects. Notice how I took the time to research the letters, Sigma Mu Delta, and now know that it is a pre-medical fraternity, prior to making a comment on it, that is what journalists call “investigative journalism”.
    ​I would also like to add that in addition to the benefits mentioned in the article such as: networking and keeping busy, there are more that I am sure the author was in no way aware of. Did he know that each year all 33 Greek organizations come together for Greek Week, an annual philanthropy event that raised over $28,000 this year for United Cerebral Palsy, and an additional $4,000+ for Haiti as a means of earthquake relief? Not to mention how each individual chapter has its own philanthropy that we as a Greek community on average accumulate over $150,000 each year campus-wide? I am sure that was not researched.
    ​I am sure the author of the previous article is aware that students involved in Greek life are only a mere 18% of the student population, but was it also researched that out of all leadership positions on this campus that 85% of them are held by Greek students? I have my doubts, but I will not accuse the columnist of not doing his job.
    I understand that Greek life is not for everyone, in fact, I would not be a good Interfraternity Council President if I encouraged every person on this campus to go Greek, because it would be wrong to do so. So next time you decide to write an article discussing how my favorite part of the college experience is not “cool enough” for you, remember that you must research information prior to publicly insulting nearly every great American in history. And if you do ever decide to get married, keep in mind that nobody in any room I have ever been in would want to be your best man.

Ethan J. Alpern
    President of the Interfraternity Council
    Order of Omega
    Greek Earth Day: Executive Board
    e.alpern@umiami.edu
    818.601.9239

7. Dave says:

commenter said: “fraternity men do more for the campus, community, and the world than you and your World of Warcraft guild could ever imagine”

Yeah, date raping chicks and littering the earth with dixie plastic cups is really a contribution the planet values above all other organizations. Red Cross < fraternities, obviously.

Anyone who read this article, and who clicked thru to the writer's other pieces, can't take him seriously. he's clearly something of a satirist/provocateur, and if a 200 or 300 word article is enough to question the frat (sorry, fraternity, don't meant no disrespects) you've been in for the past 4 years, well, you aren't that confident in it to begin with are you?

8. Was Bro says:

You have to look at both sides of the situation and being a person who was in a fraternity for 2 years and spent another two inactive, I have a fair perspective on the matter. The bottom line is we are in school to get a good education and have a great time in the process.

The fraternity life was a great experience for me, I made some good friends and had a fun time. Some of my best college memories come from parties at my fraternity house. I left greek life because my heart was not in it anymore. I did not have the passion nor the drive to continue as an active member of the fraternity. I wanted to start my own organizations and pursue other interests on campus. I would not have been able to do that if it wasn’t for my experience in a fraternity.

Evan has some valid arguments and I know most of what he says is just all in good fun. If you really want to criticize him, I encourage you to publish your own article. But please don’t harp on how valuable a fraternity is to a community, we know why we join greek life and it certainly not for community service. You should just be proud to admit that its to meet people and have a good time and there is nothing wrong with that. If you really want to help the community join a service fraternity/sorority. Anyone I know in the greek community saw philanthropies as marketing opportunity for their organization while helping people in need.

A Proud Man

9. Bromance says:

I heavily disagree with the article but did the author really rush for 12 fraternities?? Seems rather unlikely because I don’t remember that name rushing for SAE…

10. After not being offered a bid from any of the 12 fraternities at the time, and writing this article, clearly you have character flaws. I understand that you dont get much attention because you do nothing for the school or community, but it doesnt justify you writing an “article” about a topic that you clearly know NOTHING about. Go tell the cancer victims or the children from the Children’s Miracle Network, which we donate tens of thousands of dollars to every year, that you cant find the good in us Fraternity men. So I hope you got the attention you have been craving since you got turned down by EVERY fraternity, now go graduate and continue to serve no purpose. Thank you for your ignorance. It made me laugh quite a bit.

11. This article (term used loosely) comes off more as an angry rant from a senior still bitter he never received a bid three years ago. Your bond with Morgan Freeman on Netflix and your creepy fetish with what fraternity houses might smell like have gotten you through college, congrats. Truth is, fraternity men do more for the campus, community, and the world than you and your World of Warcraft guild could ever imagine. More involvement, more of a social life, and better grades than you, wow, these Greeks are really the downfall of society, eh?

You are not breaking down Greek brotherhood, because you have no idea what goes on and what it means to be part of something like a fraternity. Checks for friendship? Constant usage of the word bro? Your ignorant inclusion of such stereotypes add to the comedy of this piece.

You, much like your opinion column, will be soon be forgotten and never had made a positive impact at the University of Miami.

Senior year, still on the sidelines of life, never really included, must be painfully rough.

I’m guessing you don’t want to be a writer after college, because most people like to read newspaper stories of substance, or least somewhat based off of fact.

LET’S GO CANES!

12. I’m impressed your editors let you publish such an ignorant point of view, but rather than make broad accusations, lets try to shed some light on something you clearly know NOTHING about.

First thing you’d learn as a Fraternity Man is that we don’t call our Fraternities a “frat”…that’s what ignorant, disrespectful people refer to them as. Secondly, Fraternities don’t force anyone to drink. I myself don’t drink all the time and have brothers that don’t drink at all. Those that choose to drink and “stumble across some good people” do so because they want to and not because they’re in a Fraternity. What? You’re seriously going to tell me that you’ve never seen non-Fraternity member getting drunk?

Fraternity life is not just about partying. In fact, that’s what separates a Fraternity man from a GDI. Every Fraternity is involved in philanthropy, community service and many other activities that promote the welfare and society of others. When was the last time you did anything like this? Most GDIs are happy to go to school, study and party as much as they can. We do those same things AND we also make sure to give back and leave a mark in our school as well as our community.

Brotherhood…the one thing every person who’s not a member bashes on. When we choose a pledge, we do so by looking for people that share in our ideals and that we can relate to. Are those not the same things we all look for in friends? The brotherhood comes with time. But are you going to tell me that the UM sports teams aren’t a Fraternity of their own? Do they not share a brotherhood that transcends the time they’ve known each other and extends to those players who already graduated? I guess you won’t understand brotherhood unless you’ve lived it.

I found your article to be ignorant and disrespectful, but the only cure for ignorance is knowledge and I hope this comment enlightens you.

A Proud Fraternity Man

13. Rhett Bromar says:

I hear gamma delta iota is giving out plenty of bids this year

14. I remember you from rush. You didn’t get a bid from us because we didn’t like you. Looks like we made the right call. Now I guess you’re bitter, so you want to make fraternities look bad. Thank you for telling me all about what it’s like to be in a fraternity, even though you’re not actually in one. Great piece of journalism.

15. Bro Montana says:

You probably didnt get a bid you stupid GDI.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...