YOUniversity of Miami: ‘Suntan U’

Living in Miami has many perks that go unnoticed by the people who get to enjoy them every day, who have therefore  begun to take them for granted. The one aspect that seems to be forgotten, despite how lucky we are, is our picturesque weather!

People don’t realize how fantastic it is to be able to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about what the weather is going to be like. All across the country, people aren’t as fortunate.

During my time in high school in Cleveland, every morning would start with the same routine: Roll out of bed, check the weather online and then actually go outside to see if the meteorologists were even close to correct. It was snowing when they called for sunshine, sunny when they called for rain and, on one occasion, I believe they told us to plan for the second Ice Age.

Here, every morning I can throw on a T-shirt, athletic shorts, thong… I mean boxers and sandals, without ever having to worry about stepping outside to a blizzard.

Don’t waste these days with beautiful forecasts. Instead of studying in the frigid, musky floors of Richter, toss down a blanket and go read outside on the green. If you are one of almost every single girl that uses the treadmill or StairMaster, change up your routine and go swim laps at the pool instead. Not only will you feel great and get to show off your swimmer’s body, but you’ll get a tan to boot.

As a guy, I know I’ve fallen victim to those long afternoons of nothing but FIFA and Family Guy, but come on, not only is going to the Rat for an afternoon pick-me-up better, but you can meet some of the most gorgeous girls UMiami has to offer.

All in all, the point I’m trying to make is that I have tons of friends at other schools that would kill for the tropical paradise resort of a campus that we get to enjoy every day, and I’m sure you do as well. Don’t squander the time you have in college inside; go outside and enjoy!

Evan Peskin is a junior pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...