YOUniversity of Miami: ‘Suntan U’

Living in Miami has many perks that go unnoticed by the people who get to enjoy them every day, who have therefore  begun to take them for granted. The one aspect that seems to be forgotten, despite how lucky we are, is our picturesque weather!

People don’t realize how fantastic it is to be able to wake up in the morning and not have to worry about what the weather is going to be like. All across the country, people aren’t as fortunate.

During my time in high school in Cleveland, every morning would start with the same routine: Roll out of bed, check the weather online and then actually go outside to see if the meteorologists were even close to correct. It was snowing when they called for sunshine, sunny when they called for rain and, on one occasion, I believe they told us to plan for the second Ice Age.

Here, every morning I can throw on a T-shirt, athletic shorts, thong… I mean boxers and sandals, without ever having to worry about stepping outside to a blizzard.

Don’t waste these days with beautiful forecasts. Instead of studying in the frigid, musky floors of Richter, toss down a blanket and go read outside on the green. If you are one of almost every single girl that uses the treadmill or StairMaster, change up your routine and go swim laps at the pool instead. Not only will you feel great and get to show off your swimmer’s body, but you’ll get a tan to boot.

As a guy, I know I’ve fallen victim to those long afternoons of nothing but FIFA and Family Guy, but come on, not only is going to the Rat for an afternoon pick-me-up better, but you can meet some of the most gorgeous girls UMiami has to offer.

All in all, the point I’m trying to make is that I have tons of friends at other schools that would kill for the tropical paradise resort of a campus that we get to enjoy every day, and I’m sure you do as well. Don’t squander the time you have in college inside; go outside and enjoy!

Evan Peskin is a junior pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...