Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor

Mackenzie Green’s unfortunate article made me cringe, made me want to fill out a transfer slip and get the hell away from the artificial life so many people on campus are living. Coral Gables is not and never will be like “Bad Boy”-nor will it ever have “hard streets.”

The median income for the Gables is around $121,000- nearly two and a half times that of the national median income. Coral Gables is too rich to have crime. Have you noticed that crime occurs in poor areas, areas that the police target because of traits such as race, socioeconomic income or education?

Maybe because some UM students have never stepped foot out of their pristine neighborhoods or even showed enough concern to simply read about the happenings in areas such as Little Haiti, Overtown or Liberty City, these recent crimes do seem a “messed up sundae of crime.”

However, if one were to get outside their “Barbie-like” Coral Gables world where the biggest concern is not putting your trash out too early the night before lest you get a huge fine, then you’d see that life’s a lot tougher on the outside.

Chelsea Rivera is a junior majoring in human and social development. She may be contacted at crivera@themiamihurricane.com.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...