Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor

Mackenzie Green’s unfortunate article made me cringe, made me want to fill out a transfer slip and get the hell away from the artificial life so many people on campus are living. Coral Gables is not and never will be like “Bad Boy”-nor will it ever have “hard streets.”

The median income for the Gables is around $121,000- nearly two and a half times that of the national median income. Coral Gables is too rich to have crime. Have you noticed that crime occurs in poor areas, areas that the police target because of traits such as race, socioeconomic income or education?

Maybe because some UM students have never stepped foot out of their pristine neighborhoods or even showed enough concern to simply read about the happenings in areas such as Little Haiti, Overtown or Liberty City, these recent crimes do seem a “messed up sundae of crime.”

However, if one were to get outside their “Barbie-like” Coral Gables world where the biggest concern is not putting your trash out too early the night before lest you get a huge fine, then you’d see that life’s a lot tougher on the outside.

Chelsea Rivera is a junior majoring in human and social development. She may be contacted at crivera@themiamihurricane.com.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...