Soccer

Final two regular season soccer games at Cobb Stadium

Senior Defensive player Brittney McDonald kicks the ball during the 4-1 loss to the University of Virginia. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane.

The Hurricanes’ women’s soccer team celebrated senior night on Thursday as they defeated the Virginia Tech Hokies 2-0. Brittney Macdonald, Brittney Steinbruch, Katie Oddo, and Barbara Blocker were all honored before the game.

“It’s a big win for us,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We hadn’t been able to beat Virginia Tech in the whole time we’ve been in the ACC. This result really helped us as far as our confidence going into the last three games.”

Steinbruch opened up the score in the 39th minute off a penalty kick drilled to the left post. The penalty was awarded after goalie Dayle Colpitts tackled freshman Kelly Griffin in the box. Steinbruch leads the team with eight goals.

“I thought Kelley worked extremely hard to get that,” Taliaferro said. “And by all means I’ll take a PK in any game.”

In the 61st minute Jordan Roseboro recovered the ball off a defensive rebound and bent the ball to the far post beyond the reach of the Virginia Tech goalie for her third goal of the season.

“It was more important that Roseboro got the second goal,” Steinbruch said. “It was huge to put the game away.”

Vikki Alonzo saved the Canes twice in the 66th minute blocking two shots in the box by Virginia Tech players before a third shot hit the top crossbar.

Alonzo had six saves in the game as she recorded her seventh shutout of the season.

The Hurricanes faced No. 7 Virginia in their last home game of the season Sunday, falling 4-1 to the Cavaliers.

“We didn’t play up to their emotion as far as energy all over the field,” Taliaferro said. “Some games we haven’t been consistent with our effort.”

Virginia opened up the score in the 11th minute with a strong header by Kika Toulouse off a corner kick by Erica Hollenberg.

Sinead Farrelly added to the score with a superb shot from outside the box to the right post in the 19th minute outside the reach of Alonzo.

In the 47th minute, Julia Roberts scored on a free kick outside the box to make the score 3-0.

Roberts came back with an assist to Hollenberg who tapped the ball past Alonzo in the 51st minute.

Fatima Nasser scored on a corner kick to make the score 4-1 in the 70th minute after Tara Schwitter was tacked in the box.

The last two opponents for the Hurricanes are road games against top ten teams, beginning at Boston College on Thursday 28 at 7:30 p.m.

“I don’t think next weekend is any tougher than any other time,” Taliafero said. “We are strong mentality. We have resilience. We’re going to come back.”

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...