A chance for students to pursue filmmaking dreams

Last month students were presented with the opportunity to pursue their dreams as filmmakers. By announcing their short film contest, Time Warner Cable and the Independent Film Channel (IFC) gave students a rare oportunity. Students can make submissions through Oct. 31 by uploading their two to five minute short film to Time Warner’s Youtube account.

Youtube members and the judges’ panel will determine the winners by Nov. 16. Four winners will be announced, who will each receive two tickets to the Sundance Film Festival, including flight, hotel and ticket fares. They will also receive cable and Internet access from Time Warner Cable for up to one year, a video camera to document their trip to Sundance, a VIP pass to the Sundance Channel party, $500 in spending money and other prizes.

“The finalists’ films will receive plenty of exposure-millions of people will see their videos, and they will have the opportunity to do networking at the Sundance Festival,” said Alex Goldschmidt, public relations manager of the contest.

An impressive panel of judges includes independent filmmaker Joe Swanberg, horror filmmaker Ti West, IFC and Sundance Channel President Evan Shapiro and IFC News Host Matt Singer.

The Sundance Film Festival is the largest independent film festival in the United States, which takes place annually in Park City, Utah. It is a prime venue for experienced filmmakers to showcase their accomplished work, and for new filmmakers to gain inspiration for their upcoming projects.

“It is a dream of mine to go out to the Sundance Festival to see all the entries,” said senior Cameron Mare, a film major. “The amount of crucial connections that one can make at the festival is immeasurable. Also, it must be one of the most prestigious festivals for up and coming independent film, making it an attractive experience for all young filmmakers.”

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldebberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Students can make submissions until Oct. 31, and the finalists will be announced by Nov. 16.  Time Warner’s Youtube account can be found online at youtube.com/timewarnercable.

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...